Siri on WiFi?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by matthewskyle, Oct 11, 2011.

1. matthewskyle macrumors member

I get limited cell coverage at work (at least at my desk).I can get my 4S on the company WiFi network, but will I be able to use things like Siri via WiFi or will it be 3G only?

2. Jody macrumors regular

Definitely 3G only. /s

This place has gone full retard.

3. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

Should have no problems with Siri over Wi-Fi.

4. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

Go back to apple.com and watch the keynote, fast forward the keynote till the end where they demo Siri, the whole presentation is done over wifi. You can see it on the phone.

5. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

It would be pretty pointless to have siri if it only worked on 3G

Question is will it work on edge? I don't get 3G coverage at work so was wondering if it would work if there was no 3G coverage?

6. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

Yes it will, the response will just be slower since it pulls data from the Internet.

7. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

Wow...what a seriously EPIC fail. Jeez...I haven't seen a flop like that in a long time! :rolleyes:

8. The Game 161 macrumors G5

The Game 161

Thats good to know then....

I only actually switch 3G on anyway unless i'm outside and i need it...just use wifi mainly.

9. Stayfly2407 macrumors 6502

Stayfly2407

Yea u should be good

10. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

its just that non tech-savvy people come here right around every new product launch to ask questions that may seem dumb to us, but to them do not

be nice. MacRumors should be a friendly and helpful community where others can come to get their questions answered by knowledgable people

11. Bugdozer macrumors member

Responses like this is exactly why I am afraid to ask questions here. I come lurk and read and VERY rarely post....

Well said and thank you :)

Bug

12. Irock619 macrumors 68000

Irock619

When connected to wifi you are still connected to 3G as well. If not then you wouldn't be able to make or receive calls. So, how do you know whether Siri is using wifi or 3G when connected to a wireless network?

13. melman101 macrumors 68030

You can test it by turning off the cell network and keeping wifi on.

14. matthewskyle thread starter macrumors member

It's not that I am not tech savvy, I work in CIS, but it was a reasonable question. It's not like I asked if it would be running iOS 5. Besides, I don't think to many non tech-savvy people would make it to posting on here in the first place. I'm not saying they don't, but obviously to post on here you have some interest in technology. And what you consider tech savvy and what I consider probably vary. I know people that do database work here and I still consider half of them morons :)

15. AFPoster macrumors 65816

Your office will be a true test to see if these 2 new antenna's work any better.

16. Kaenon macrumors regular

17. Champcar macrumors newbie

I bet it won't work with WiFi only, I'm guessing Siri requires a mobile network to at least be present. Might explain why it wasn't released for iPad2.

18. biznizza macrumors newbie

wifi

just got the phone. doesnt work unless on wifi. automatically says "siri is unavailable" on 3g.

19. JamesM macrumors regular

I had the same problem earlier and when it did eventually work it was very slow.

Why would Siri need network access to perform local tasks like reading text messages?

20. artap macrumors newbie

My siri only works on wifi!

I HAD WIFI ON INITIALLY AND SIRI WAS WORKING, ONCE I TURNED OFF WIFI AND WAS ON 3G IT SAYS "CONNECT TO INTERNET" HOWEVER... I AM CONNECTED I CAN BROWSE AND ETC ON SAFARI... SO FROM MY END SIRI IS ONLY WORKING ON WIFI:confused: