Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
This has been happening ever since I opened the phone. When connected to wifi, Siri says, "Sorry, I'm having trouble connecting to the network." Yes, wifi works for all other apps. Webpages load just fine.

On 3G everything works.

Any ideas? Anyone else having this issue?

-UPDATE- see post #6 below. It's a wifi problem but I don't know what the problem is nor how to fix it.

Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
This has been happening ever since I opened the phone. When connected to wifi, Siri says, "Sorry, I'm having trouble connecting to the network." Yes, wifi works for all other apps. Webpages load just fine.

On 3G everything works.

Any ideas? Anyone else having this issue?

I get that sometimes too.
When Im connected to wifi sometimes it tells me it cant connect but on 3G is fine.
But that happens like 2 out of 10 times on wifi. It usually works ok on wifi.

Anonymous Freak

macrumors 603
Dec 12, 2002
Cascadia
Is this home or work WiFi? Check to see if you have any firewall or web proxies going on that may be transparent to common services but be blocking Siri. (I can't find what port/protocol Siri uses, though, so I don't know what you'd have to do to open it up.)

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
Is this home or work WiFi? Check to see if you have any firewall or web proxies going on that may be transparent to common services but be blocking Siri. (I can't find what port/protocol Siri uses, though, so I don't know what you'd have to do to open it up.)

I have this problem at both home and work wifi. Also at McDonalds. I guess those are the only places I've tried it.

mattwolfmatt

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 7, 2008
My mistake, it works on wifis outside of my home and work. Today it worked at McDonalds and at my health club. Still not working on my home or work wifi. Home is Airport Extreme, work is Time Capsule.

I called Apple today and he suggested I restore my phone. This was a huge waste of time and nothing has changed with the problem.

Clearly this is an issue with each of my wi-fi networks. Is there some test I can do to make sure the settings are right so Siri can work over wifi?

jtskinz

macrumors newbie
Oct 21, 2011
Same Issue

I am having the same issue in my work place which is behind a firewall. When WiFi is enabled Siri is unable to connect to the network (despite the fact I can surf the web, etc). When I disable WiFi it she works like a Champ! At home I have no issues but, I am not blocking anything at home. Matt, I would open up your firewall at home so that no restrictions/limitations on access in or out. Then test Siri again and see if she works, my guess she will. Then from that point you can start enabling your restrictions/limitations testing Siri with each one to find which is the culprit. Let us know if you find anything....:confused:

Also iMessage is getting blocked when using WiFi and trying to send pic/video texts to other iOS5 devices. When WiFi is disabled then it works normally.

Would love to know the website these are trying to access on the backend (or IP and ports)

TIA

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.