Siri or Voice Dictate Question

Discussion in 'macOS Sierra (10.12)' started by ajaan, Jun 17, 2016.

1. ajaan macrumors member

At the moment if I want to dictate an email on OS X 10.11 I hit 'fn' twice and dictate.

Can anyone with Sierra installed tell me if dictation is handled by Siri? Because it seems Siri is set up more for requests and questions.

I hope Siri is set up for dictating text has she learns my pronunciation and accent quickly and accurately, whereas voice dictate does not.

2. beebarb macrumors 6502

beebarb

From how I understand it, it can be handled by either depending on how you start to create the message.
    Also, the speech to text code used by Siri and Dictation are probably going to be the same, a shared library probably.

So say you call up Siri by saying "Siri, compose email..."
    Siri will likely use Apple Mail to compose and send the mail in the default configuration.

But, if you start it in your e-mail client of choice, you will need to use the voice dictation function.

If you're really wanting a more accurate dictation routine, then Dragon Naturally Speaking may be a better choice than the built-in functions. Nuance have been doing dictation LONG before it became a built in function of any OS.

It's a bit pricy, at nearly $300, so it really depends how fussy you are about dictation.