Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
could having Siri set to activate when the phone is raised to your ear contribute to the battery drain? cuz it means the proximity sensor is active any time your phone is unlocked

Hoodles

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2009
It's activated by the motion of holding the phone up to the ear, and then the proximity sensor. The accelerometer is always monitoring, not the proximity sensor.

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
oh that makes more sense. thanks

does anyone do that? or does everyone just hold down the home button?

Eager Beaver

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2011
Chicago, IL
oh that makes more sense. thanks
does anyone do that? or does everyone just hold down the home button?

I's personal preference. Do whatever feels natural to you.

He didn't ask what people prefer, he asked if anyone did the "phone to ear" method -

My answer, I just "press and hold" and am enjoying NOT unlocking the phone when I have a task or question for Siri:)

jcorbin

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 18, 2011
D.C.
He didn't ask what people prefer, he asked if anyone did the "phone to ear" method -

My answer, I just "press and hold" and am enjoying NOT unlocking the phone when I have a task or question for Siri:)

right on. i used the raise to ear method once to try out the call option. but i don't really see the point if she is going to list something on the screen and you have to take it away from your ear to see it.

did you turn off the setting allowing raise to ear activation?

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.