Siri Raise to Speak gone from iOS 8?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by wav, Jul 23, 2014.

1. wav macrumors member

I notice this feature doesn't work for me anymore and I don't see the option for it in the Siri settings. Has this been removed or am I missing something?

2. ps3zocker macrumors regular

3. dcp10 macrumors 6502

Maybe related to Hey Siri? Might be an indication that it will be available full time on iPhone 6?

4. sumsingwong macrumors 6502a

sumsingwong

Maybe just with beta 4. It will probably be back in beta 5.

5. ps3zocker macrumors regular

It already wasn't there in Beta 3. Maybe even Beta 2. I think it has something to do with the new "Raise to reply" in Messages for voice messages.

6. johnmacward macrumors regular

johnmacward

Not in official release either. Seems as though it's gone for the moment. Lets be honest, it never worked all that well anyway. Worked about 50% of the time.

7. MrUNIMOG macrumors 6502

MrUNIMOG

Raise to Speak was a great feature, I used it all the time.

For me, it worked pretty well already and I enjoyed using it. Not having to look at my iPhone to call someone while walking etc. was really convenient.

Also, when in public, Raise to Speak was pretty useful to avoid Siri speaking to everyone around you. When activated by pressing the home button, Siri just starts talking over the speaker, and then switches to the earpiece when the iPhone is brought to the ear. With Raise to Speak, she'd discretely talk over the earpiece right from the beginning.

I don't need the "Raise to Reply" feature, it'd be great if Apple did at least let us choose to have Raise to Speak instead. I can only hope that will happen in a future update, otherwise the usefulness of Siri is greatly diminished.

8. NavySEAL6 macrumors 6502a

I'm really annoyed this feature was removed. If you have to change the implementation of the feature I would understand as the action wasn't super important to me, but the ability to use Siri through the earpiece in public was key. Is there still a way to do this?

9. P.S. Downing macrumors newbie

Wrong Direction

The absence of the "Raise to Talk" feature of Siri is very, very disappointing. Without it Siri is now on speaker, and confidentiality and social decorum are compromised. Additionally, driving while calling, texting, etc. becomes problematic, as hands and eyes are now both required to accomplish a task, as opposed to voice only as before the update to ios8. Another nice feature of the old Siri "raise to talk" was that it would ask which type of telephone you would like to call (mobile, home, etc), and no screen viewing or hand manipulation was required to make the selection. Additionally, it did so through the earpiece, as opposed to through the speaker, wherein proximate individuals become parties to your call or text. This was a step in the WRONG direction.

10. KeepCalmPeople macrumors 65816

KeepCalmPeople

11. P.S. Downing macrumors newbie

Thank you for your response, but that is incorrect. "Hey Siri" only works when the phone is CONNECTED BY USB WIRE, and even then it is a command and response that can be heard by proximate listeners.

12. C DM macrumors Westmere

As far as driving, seems like it wouldn't be much of an issue given that in most instances like that you wouldn't be holding the phone to your ear to use Siri.

As far as asking which number you want to call, I don't think that was related to raise to talk feature in particular, it's just something Siri can do no matter which way it's being used.

13. P.S. Downing macrumors newbie

Thank you for your thoughts. Quite the contrary, I WANT the phone to my ear for privacy, and to avoid having to move my eyes off the road to look down at it while making entries, or to read the screen. When Raise to Speak was working it would ask the user which phone they would like to call (mobile, home, work, etc.). When "raise to speak" was not utilized, the selection had to be made manually. It was a totally hands free tool, with totally private queries and responses; i.e., no speaker phone mode, nor manipulation required. Put it to your ear and everything else could be accomplished orally.

14. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, in many places holding your phone to your ear while driving is illegal and isn't a good idea to begin with. Typically using a headset of some sort or the car system is the way to go.

Thst aside, I've never had raise to speak enabled and whenever I would ask Siri to make calls if it wasn't sure which number to use it would ask me and listen for my reply, without the need to interact with the phone in any other way.

15. phillytim macrumors 65816

phillytim

Yep, it's gone; it was a pretty decent ease-of-use feature to have, tho. Shame.

16. mentaluproar macrumors 68000

mentaluproar

Can't we all email Apple for this feature request? Hey Siri is useless. My partner and I both have iPhones and using hey Siri triggers both our phones.

17. LaidBack macrumors member

LaidBack

I would rather apple bring back the raise to speak feature and have a toggle for raise to speak and Hey Siri.
    I don't follow how "Hey Siri" replaces the raise to speak functionality.

18. C DM macrumors Westmere

It doesn't really. At beset the raise to listen to voice messages in the new Messages app might be taking over that type of functionality.

19. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

There is a good reason its not there. When someone sends you an audio message you raise the phone to automatically play the message. It would have conflicted with this new feature, that probably will be used much more, so it was removed.

20. betabeta macrumors 6502a

Hardly anyone sends audio text...but I used raise to speak all the time, it's so disturbing they just removed it. Why no toggle to choose?

21. C DM macrumors Westmere

I think it remains to see how many people would use voice messaging compared to using Siri's raise to speak.

22. Recognition macrumors 6502a

Recognition

I'm amazed you're holding your phone whilst driving to make calls or text?! That is illegal in the uk and carries a fine plus penalty points. There's been lots of ad campaigns on the dangers of using/holding a phone whilst driving and cases of serious and fatal crashes because of a mobile phone being used prior to an accident.

Becareful out there man!

23. texasgameboy15x macrumors newbie

Actually...

I actually think this was replaced by the "Raise to Listen" feature, now that we can send and receive audio messages. If you go to Settings > Messages > Raise to Listen (near the bottom under AUDIO MESSAGES) you can tick that on and off. What's weird though is that my iPhone 5 was still able to Raise to Talk when I was in the messages app, so that when I put my phone to my ear it would let me talk out what I wanted to type. But I had to turn of Raise to Listen for this to work. Maybe it has something to do with the iPhone 5 and/or iOS 8.0...Because now I have an iPhone 6 with iOS 8.0.2 and Raise to Talk doesn't work whether I have Raise to Listen on or off.

24. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

Activating Siri and holding the phone to your ear causes the screen to switch off and Siri to start listening, then removing the device from your ear causes Siri to stop listening immediately.

Unfortunately unless you pull the phone from your ear Siri won't stop listening, so the spoken reply will always be on speaker. I liked it the way it was before too, shame it's gone.