Siri remote volume control and Sonos issues

Sill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
I have a recent 4K Samsung display, I believe its a 60UH6035. Connected to this are my Sonos HT system, my Apple TV 4 (non-4k - really, they should have thought of a better name for the 4K to distinguish it further), and a scraggly old Sony blu player. (I haven't decided what will replace it yet)

I was able to get the aTV4 Siri remote to control the volume on the Sonos Playbar, no problem. However, when I'm watching a movie on physical disk, or something over the air, and I adjust the volume on the Siri remote, the aTV wakes up and the Samsung senses it as a new input and switches to it. Then I miss half a minute of whatever I was watching as I scramble for the TV remote and go through menus to get back to my original source.

I would think there's some setting on the aTV or the Samsung to stop this behavior but I must not be looking in the right place. Can anyone offer advice on how to fix this?

ersan191

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2013
Is setting the Apple TV to never sleep an option? Or do you turn off your TV by putting the ATV to sleep?

If those don't work and you want automatic input switching I don't think there's anything you can do - it's an all-or-nothing situation. There's usually a way to disable automatic input switching on the TV if you can live without it.

I've long since stopped using Blu-Ray and stream everything now - perhaps you can replace the Blu-Ray player with a NAS and rip your Blu-Ray videos to it if you are determined on keeping them, then use Infuse or Plex to stream them directly to the Apple TV.

Last edited:

Sill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Is setting the Apple TV to never sleep an option? Or do you turn off your TV by putting the ATV to sleep?
I don't recall there being a sleep timer in the preferences, but I'll take a look at that when I get home. I have all my gear running to a Rocketfish power center, with the TV plugged into the master outlet and everything else in subordinate outfits. When the TV is turned off, the whole kit - Sonos, Blu-Ray player, aTV, etc - gets turned off.

If you want automatic input switching I don't think there's anything you can do - it's an all-or-nothing situation. There's usually a way to disable automatic input switching on the TV if you can live without it.
I'm trying to avoid switching that off. I do like the auto switching. Its worked well for me in the past but the Sonos volume is whats messing it up. Happy it works through the Siri remote, unhappy that aTV has to wake up just because I'm pressing a volume button. I don't even know why that happens, because the volume has nothing to do with the aTV itself; its for the display device or AVR, not the aTV.

I've long since stopped using Blu-Ray and stream everything now - perhaps you can replace the Blu-Ray player with a NAS and rip your Blu-Ray videos to it if you are determined on keeping them, then use Infuse or Plex to stream them directly to the Apple TV.
I've thought about that. I really want to pack away all these movies. I think I have close to a thousand here. Then again, its going to take some serious time to get them all on disk, and there's always the expense of a NAS, plus the chance that it quits on me and takes the library with it. Its not probably, but it could happen.

Infuse rules, though. I'm using it on the 150 or so movies I have saved on this iMac, and it is really well thought out. Not so much for Plex. I doubt I'll ever use that again.

ersan191

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2013
Also I just thought of it, the easiest thing you can do is set your apple remote to control volume via IR instead of HDMI-CEC, so the ATV won't wake up when you press the volume buttons on the remote. You'd have to be in line of sight of your Sonos (or TV if that can control the sonos) to control the volume but I think that's a reasonable tradeoff.

Sill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Also I just thought of it, the easiest thing you can do is set your apple remote to control volume via IR instead of HDMI-CEC, so the ATV won't wake up with you press the volume buttons on the remote. You'd have to be in line of sight of your Sonos (or TV if that can control the sonos) to control the volume but I think that's a reasonable tradeoff.
I'm not certain if the Playbar has that input, but I will definitely check that out. Thank you for the help.

Vermifuge

macrumors 68000
Mar 7, 2009
Use the Sonos App or The Tv remote to change the volume. I have the same problem. If I'm no watching Apple TV (rare) i just use the App.

Sill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
Also I just thought of it, the easiest thing you can do is set your apple remote to control volume via IR instead of HDMI-CEC, so the ATV won't wake up when you press the volume buttons on the remote. You'd have to be in line of sight of your Sonos (or TV if that can control the sonos) to control the volume but I think that's a reasonable tradeoff.
I forgot to check into this until just now. I already had the remote set to control the Sonos via IR. I didn't see any other settings in the controls. Where did you see HDMI-CEC?
[doublepost=1509476725][/doublepost]
Use the Sonos App or The Tv remote to change the volume. I have the same problem. If I'm no watching Apple TV (rare) i just use the App.
That would mean having an iDevice handy at all times, waking it up, and entering the passcode just to use an app. I have both the Sonos and aTV apps installed on one iPhone, but I found that to be a cumbersome solution to just have a volume control.

ersan191

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2013
I forgot to check into this until just now. I already had the remote set to control the Sonos via IR. I didn't see any other settings in the controls. Where did you see HDMI-CEC?

That would mean having an iDevice handy at all times, waking it up, and entering the passcode just to use an app. I have both the Sonos and aTV apps installed on one iPhone, but I found that to be a cumbersome solution to just have a volume control.
If your TV volume control is set to IR then it shouldn't be waking up the Apple TV when you adjust the volume.

bigcahuna12c

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2013

On the ATV 4 or later,
Go to settings
Remotes & Devices
Scroll down to Home Theater Control & set "Turn On Your TV with Your Remote" to off.

Reactions: Sill

Sill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
If your TV volume control is set to IR then it shouldn't be waking up the Apple TV when you adjust the volume.
I'm using the Siri remote to control the Sonos, not the TV remote. The only thing I use the TV remote for is power and input switching.
On the ATV 4 or later,
Go to settings
Remotes & Devices
Scroll down to Home Theater Control & set "Turn On Your TV with Your Remote" to off.

Ok, I gave that a shot. I'll have to wait until the aTV goes to sleep to test it.

bigcahuna12c

macrumors member
Aug 30, 2013
I'm using the Siri remote to control the Sonos, not the TV remote. The only thing I use the TV remote for is power and input switching.

Ok, I gave that a shot. I'll have to wait until the aTV goes to sleep to test it.
Press & hold the home button on the siri remote & you can choose sleep.
Also I would turn off HDMI-CEC on your Tv. Different Mfgs have different names for this setting.

tillsbury

macrumors 65816
Dec 24, 2007
I have a similar setup. Tell the TV to be quiet, tell the ATV to control volume directly to the TV through the IR, and then what will happen is the Sonos will take the volume instructions through the HDMI. When you change the volume on the TV using the ATV remote, the ATV will ignore you and not change inputs.

Reactions: ersan191 and Sill

Sill

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 14, 2014
It appears to be working the right way. Many thanks to you guys for your help.