Siri requires passcode to start playing a new podcast

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by motulist, Apr 7, 2014.

1. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

When i'm listening to a podcast and i tell siri to "play Car Talk podcast, she says "okay, now play Car Talk podcast", except then there's just silence and the screen lights up showing the password entry screen. But that defeats the whole point of voice control! How do I fix this?

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Siri cannot bypass a passcode. It makes no sense to allow it.

3. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

My point is that it should'nt be asking for a password to switch to playing another podcast.

4. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

If the phone is locked the passcode rule is enforced. I have my phone set to ask me for a passcode after 15 minutes so it doesn't keep bugging me for a code all the time when my phone is locked.

5. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

So there's no way to make it not ask for a password just to switch podcasts? That's ridiculous. So when I'm on my bike or whatever listening to a podcast (which are generally always longer than 15 minutes), when one podcast ends you're saying there's no way to get siri to play another podcast without stopping and looking at my phone simply to type in the passcode. How ridiculous.

6. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

How do you get Siri to play podcasts?
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396924101.736365.jpg

7. Nolander07 macrumors 6502a

Maybe you need to be using the Apple podcast app? I'm not sure but that is my guess.

8. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Using the latest version of the official Apple podcast app.

9. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

You're quoting outdated information. Siri CAN play podcasts just fine, the problem is that if its been 15 minutes since i last unlocked my phone then she requires i input my passcode first begore she does it.

10. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

You know what's ridiculous? YOU listening to a podcast while riding a bicycle instead of paying attention to your surroundings for your own safety.

With that aside if you have a PASSCODE set on your phone Siri cannot perform functions if the phone is in a locked state. Would you want someone to text or make phone calls from your lost/stolen iPhone because Siri doesn't play by the passcode rules?

11. C DM macrumors Westmere

I thought that you could make phone calls and texts while the phone is locked using Siri (unless you just disable Siri from the lock screen, but even then Voice Control can usually be used for some of that too).

12. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I took that screenshot yesterday.

13. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

You could always just turn off passcode lock before you go for your bike ride, and then turn it back on afterwards.

14. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I don't care anymore. I'm done with this thread.

15. motulist thread starter macrumors 601

motulist

I'd like to but i can't, i have an important exchange email account which forces the iphone to use a passcode, so on the "require passcode" setting screen the only options are "immediately" and "15 minutes after".

----------

The somehow your device is different than mine, because as long as my iphone is unlocked or has been unlocked within the past 15 minutes then i can ask siri to play a podcast and she will. Maybe you're not on the latest ios or podcast.app version or maybe its a feature exlusive to the 5s, but i can tell you that it works fine on my device as long as the passcode has already been entered within the last 15minutes.

16. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I'm on the latest everything on an iPhone 5c

17. C DM macrumors Westmere

Perhaps it's related to some settings in the Podcasts app and/or actually being subscribed to a particular podcast that you are trying to play?

18. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

I have no idea. It just dosent work, and I would like to ask Siri to play podcasts. It worked for voice control though, if I remember correctly.

19. C DM macrumors Westmere

Well, I've certainly seen posts where people have been able to do it and others where people haven't been able to, so it sounds like there's likely something behind it as to why it might work for some and not others, just not sure what that might be.