Siri SDK: Not As Open As We Thought?

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by v0lume4, Jun 14, 2016.

1. v0lume4 macrumors 65816

v0lume4

I just came across this article:

http://www.macworld.com/article/308...ypes-of-third-party-apps-and-not-spotify.html

One of the reasons I was most excited about the Siri SDK was so that I could finally control my Spotify playlist with Siri. However, this excerpt from the Apple Dev website seems to crush that idea (https://developer.apple.com/library...ts/Conceptual/SiriIntegrationGuide/index.html):

Are these really the only things we'll be able to do with Siri? If I'm understanding all of this incorrectly, please let me know. I'd like to be wrong on this.

2. ashindnile macrumors 6502

You aren't wrong. That's how it stands as of now. They can always expand with 10.x, most definitely next year, but for now that's all we've got.

3. shenfrey macrumors 68000

4. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Yep pretty disappointing - was hoping I could tell Siri to play songs/albums/playlists on Spotify but music/audio playback isn't one of the domains

In the interview mentioned in a story on the MacRumors homepage, they did say they would work on expanding the domains over time

Fingers crossed for iOS 11 ;)

5. alexcanton macrumors member

alexcanton

I think the lack of music player support is a strategic move to ensure the growth of Apple Music.

6. ashindnile macrumors 6502

I would've liked to say play the latest Game of thrones, and it loads HBO Go automatically.. And they don't have a rival for it so I don't think that's the agenda.

7. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

The biggest problem to me is Siri doesn't know Siri. I have 5 different Siri's now that should all have different names. Apple NEEDS to make Siri one experience across all devices.

8. stulaw11 macrumors 65816

I think this is just the first step to opening it up in the future and they will do it piece by piece. Opening it fully wouldve been a MASSIVE project.