Siri Security Issue in iOS 8

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by medphysics.rsb, Jan 29, 2015.

1. medphysics.rsb macrumors newbie

My girlfriend has an iphone 6 running iOS 8.1.2, when she asks siri to show her her alarms, the list pops up as usual, when she clicks on one, it goes to the alarm page. She then clicks the home button and it jumps to her home page. She has a passcode and touch id enabled. I'm sure this is a security glitch. We did email apple support, but I wanted to ask here if anyone else has experienced this and/or are there any other steps we need to take. She is installing the 8.1.3 update currently. Thanks!

2. Vundu macrumors 65816

Vundu

Does same for me on 8.1.3 starting from the lock screen so yeah it bypassing unlocking the phone.

3. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

When she clicks the home button to use Siri, is she using a finger that is registered with Touch ID? If so, it automatically authorizes you to full access to your phone while you are asking Siri a question. Try doing it without a finger registered to Touch ID. Shouldn't happen then.

I just tried both ways. With a finger registered it allowed me access to the phone, and with a finger that was not registered it took me back to the lock screen and asked for passcode.

4. medphysics.rsb thread starter macrumors newbie

That was it! Thank you for your help. That was definitely something that we never though of!

5. Mlrollin91 macrumors G4

Mlrollin91

Glad to have helped!

6. afsnyder macrumors 65816

That makes sense. It's a not really a good UX because its not obvious.

7. gordon1234 macrumors 6502a

Actually, it's good UX precisely because it's seamless. It means the vast majority of the time when you perform an action we Siri you get to silently authenticate and go straight to the result. It could pop up a confirmation dialogue, but that would be annoying and remove a lot of the convenience of the fingerprint sensor in the first place.

8. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Well yes seamless is great but the fact we don't really know if its authenticating is kind of strange but nevertheless its still secure.