Siri "Server" secure?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Italianblend, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

They said that when you talk to Siri, it uploads that to a server and then downloads the response.

How secure is something like this? If I text to someone the location of my house keys, is anybody else going to see this besides myself and the recipient?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you text someone the location of the keys that has nothing to do with Siri.

3. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

What I mean is, if they send your text or e-mail to some server for translation, is that information kept at the server source?

4. androiphone macrumors 65816

I suspect it will be secure as in no-one outside apple will be able to get hold of it but people inside apple probably can, and most definitely the server will use your voice to provide better service to everyone, (so people who dont like a computer reading their email and serving them ads in gmail will freak out big time at siri :p)

but if you are doing something private you will just have to use some common sense and think "how would I feel if someone found out this information" and if you don't want someone to then take the phone out of your pocket and use your hands!

5. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

It's not just Apple who has access to the servers, it could be Nuance as well.

6. Italianblend thread starter macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I know I'm coming across as paranoid, but with voice recognition services being out for quite a while, I thought we would have an answer on this. While I don't text anything too private normally, I wouldn't want someone elsewhere to be able to read the e-mails or texts I am composing.

7. androiphone macrumors 65816

it will be in the privacy policy and T&Cs that you will likely have to agree to before you can use it, I guess we will all just have to read it.

8. Number 41 macrumors 6502a

Hate to make you paranoid, but your phone company has logs of all your text messages -- available by subpoena or to any law enforcement agency that obtains a warrant (which it can do without your knowledge & under secret order, if necessary).

I'm also fairly certain that text messages are scanned by computer and flagged for possible terrorist activity.

I used to be worried about my privacy, but then I realized that fight ended years ago and there's nothing you can do about -- people will have access to any detail of your life that they want. The only comfort you can take is that there are millions of people in the same boat as you, and the odds of YOUR information ever piquing someone's curiosity is remote.

9. Tarzanman macrumors 65816

Uh. People can already read the texts, emails and private messages that you send.

I've been inside cell phone networks. SMS messages can be read in plain text from any terminal as they come into the network. ALL networks keep a record of SMS messages for at least a year (some longer).

Emails go out on publicly accessible SMTP servers (owned by huge corporations) and are received by publicly accessible mail daemons (also owned by corporate entities). This information is accessible to them with a few touches on the keyboards at their terminals.

Everything you do online (and wirelessly) is cached and archived by corporate interests (sometimes the govt, but usually private parties) who will hand it over to govt/law enforcement (often without a warrant). Its not secure at all, but with so much information available, your data isn't scrutinized unless there is a reason to take a harder look at it.

So no, Siri is not secure and neither is your home address if you have a credit/debit card, bank account, cell phone, mortgage, etc