Siri Shazam Auto Recognize?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by Laurence Eckert, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Laurence Eckert macrumors member

I thought that Siri was supposed to auto recognize songs playing in the background... now with the public release there isn't that feature? I really don't want to talk to siri to get her to listen to a song and I don't want to download the Shazam app....

Is this just happening to me or what?

2. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

Works for me in iOS 8.

3. dlmart2 macrumors 6502a

You have to ask Siri "what song is playing?". Works great for me

4. matttye macrumors 601

They removed that feature because it was listening to and trying to identify ambient sounds in the background.

You now have to activate it using a voice command like every other siri feature.

5. Purex macrumors member

I just say " Shazam " and it works too. Siri starts listening.

6. legaleye3000 macrumors 65816

7. iOz macrumors regular

Yes, it's accessed through the iTunes app and your wish list then Siri tab.

8. KALLT macrumors 601

Has anyone been able to use this feature without having to ask Siri first? I'm perplexed at how useless this is. I've seen Google Voice listening to both your commands and background music at the same time, but it appears that Siri can't do this.

9. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 6502a

It is a sham as it was working really well in the Betas for me. But I have not been able to get this to work in the full release.

10. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

I use the shazam app so this is not a problem for me. But having to ask it to recognize would be quite difficult in a loud environment. But having it listen automatically would be troublesome as well. The best would be having a button in the middle of the screen like the shazam app for example, but also being able to ask Siri what song is playing. Best of both worlds and covers all situation.

11. KALLT macrumors 601

I was hoping I could use this Shazam integration instead of the pretty large app. It's useless in loud environments as you said, but it also means that you have to tell Siri something in public, something with which I at least am still not comfortable with.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

I believe this is a hardware limitation of the iPhone. Apple will likely add a low energy chip (kind of like the M chip) for always on listening to the 6S.

13. afsnyder macrumors 65816

Actually not really. Siri is pretty good at picking up voices in loud environments. Just put the microphone closer to your face and cut off the recognition as soon as you finish speaking. It works well for me at least.

14. ZEEN0j macrumors 6502a

Good workaround but not a solution. Has to be simpler.

15. afsnyder macrumors 65816

I wasn't trying to make a solution but rather just saying what I've learned from using siri in loud situations lol