Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mick_E_P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Hi 1st Post
I am setting up a snooper trap shortcut to do the following
Create a shortcut with the title”Bank Balance”
When activated
Show alert to say “retrieving Balance Please Wait”
It then retrieves the location of the phone
And takes a photo with the front camera
(Hopefully of the Snooper)
And sends me a message with the photo and location attached.
Everything works fine, except it doesn’t send the message, it always opens it up in the messages app, and then I have to send manually.
I have show when run turned off
Not sure what I’m doing wrong
But I presumed it would send the message automatically
I have attached photo of my workflow
Regards
Mick

Attachments

• 6F6A4DD4-2754-477B-AC36-2200A037DE46.png
    6F6A4DD4-2754-477B-AC36-2200A037DE46.png
    448.3 KB · Views: 296
  • 793D34B1-4D80-41F1-A058-E5B2CDDAB9B1.jpeg
    793D34B1-4D80-41F1-A058-E5B2CDDAB9B1.jpeg
    91.5 KB · Views: 163

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
The first thing I looked for is the "Show when run" button on "Send Message". But your's is set to "No". Not sure what the issue is.

One streamlining note for you: you don't need to set the variable "Photo". Just use a Magic Variable in the text of the message (you'll see that you can select the output from the "Get Latest Photo" action).

Mick_E_P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Thanks for the reply gwhizkds, I've just been reading up on magic variable's, thank you, i have removed the photo variable now, and replaced it with the magic variable, thank you for the tip, it's still mystery why is not automatically sending the message,I am going to try it seeing an email instead, to see if that works.
Thanks again

Reactions: gwhizkids

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Thanks for the reply gwhizkds, I've just been reading up on magic variable's, thank you, i have removed the photo variable now, and replaced it with the magic variable, thank you for the tip, it's still mystery why is not automatically sending the message,I am going to try it seeing an email instead, to see if that works.
Thanks again
I do have to ask: do you have really have people snooping on your phone? Or is this a gag?

Mick_E_P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
United Kingdom
Its a bit of both :) its just incase my phone gets stolen, hopefully the thief my be tempted to take a look at my bank balance
Then hopefully I might have a nice photo and location of the thief.

Reactions: gwhizkids

dewalt

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
So I have the same problem. When I attach a picture, it wont send automatically. Think it may be a bug.

Use Case: I can share pics directly with my wife without having to type anything, from the photos app (or really anywhere else that's not Messages).

Mick_E_P

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 2, 2018
United Kingdom
hopefully it is just a bug, I got it working with email, although i don't know how to attach the photo and the location to the same email, at the moment i have it sending
2 separate emails, one with the photo and one with the location.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Send message in Shortcut app never sends message to my knowledge it always stops at compose.

bulldogg80

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2009
The first thing I looked for is the "Show when run" button on "Send Message". But your's is set to "No". Not sure what the issue is.

One streamlining note for you: you don't need to set the variable "Photo". Just use a Magic Variable in the text of the message (you'll see that you can select the output from the "Get Latest Photo" action).

Same problem for me, If the message only contain text it will send automatic. Hmmm

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Same problem for me, If the message only contain text it will send automatic. Hmmm

Starting to think this may be a feature, not a bug. Would keep someone from maliciously creating a shortcut to snag all your photos and send them to somewhere you don’t want them to go. They could post the link and unsuspecting users might run it.

bulldogg80

macrumors member
Sep 9, 2009
Starting to think this may be a feature, not a bug. Would keep someone from maliciously creating a shortcut to snag all your photos and send them to somewhere you don’t want them to go. They could post the link and unsuspecting users might run it.

Ooo that’s sounds logical hmm

dewalt

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009

I havent tried it, but one of the other posters said it works via email. It's a bug, unless it's documented as such.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Not correct. I have one set up that sends messages automatically every time just fine.

Just tested it yeah it does send. Before iOS12 it wasn't working this way with workflow app but it still doesn't send if you have picture attached just plain text.

Last edited:

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Just tested it yeah it does send. Before iOS12 it wasn't working this way with workflow app but it still doesn't send if you have picture attached just plain text.
Right...that's one of the ways in which Shortcuts is superior to Workflow, along with greater access to system level stuff.

As to the pictures/plain text: as I mentioned above, I think this is by plan. Think how easy it would be to write a shortcut that would access all photos and text them to someone. I guarantee you, if this were possible, all someone would have to do is post it to the "Share your Shortcuts" thread, saying it was for something else. Some user would run it without reading through or understanding the actions. It only takes one...

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013
Messeges automatic works only when there’s only messages in the shortcuts, and nothing else, or messeges is the first action

dewalt

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2009
Right...that's one of the ways in which Shortcuts is superior to Workflow, along with greater access to system level stuff.

As to the pictures/plain text: as I mentioned above, I think this is by plan. Think how easy it would be to write a shortcut that would access all photos and text them to someone. I guarantee you, if this were possible, all someone would have to do is post it to the "Share your Shortcuts" thread, saying it was for something else. Some user would run it without reading through or understanding the actions. It only takes one...

This could easily be addressed in a validation. If I'm intentionally choosing a photo, it should let me send it. If there's no user input, then dont send it in the background. Even on imported shortcuts, it should remove references to contacts or ph numbers.

I also dont believe there's a background method to grab all photos.

Still think it's a bug due to either incorrect testing or lack of documentation. On a send message that takes an input, the "show in use" should be disabled or have a note tied to it.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
Messeges automatic works only when there’s only messages in the shortcuts, and nothing else, or messeges is the first action

That’s not correct. I have one that opens maps, texts my wife and opens podcasts. Message sending is fully automatic.

gwhizkids

macrumors G4
Jun 21, 2013
This could easily be addressed in a validation. If I'm intentionally choosing a photo, it should let me send it. If there's no user input, then dont send it in the background. Even on imported shortcuts, it should remove references to contacts or ph numbers.

I also dont believe there's a background method to grab all photos.

Still think it's a bug due to either incorrect testing or lack of documentation. On a send message that takes an input, the "show in use" should be disabled or have a note tied to it.

Remember, the OP is asking about an invalidated send, I.e., they want the phone to send a message if someone swipes their phone.

Also, you can grab many, many photos using the set up below. Or use a Repeat with Each action

9b2ef6aa1ebd0f8c19f4f84a35703df8.png

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.