Siri shortcut to turn off notifications from just certain apps

Discussion in 'iOS 12' started by Fatboy71, Sep 30, 2018.

1. Fatboy71, Sep 30, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2018

Fatboy71 macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Hi guys.

There's certain day/s and time of the week, where I need to switch off notifications for just a selection of apps (these selection of apps are ones that I tend to get notifications from quite often).

I became aware that Shortcuts/Siri Shortcuts is a new feature in iOS 12.

My main question is:

Would it be possible to create a shortcut to turn off the notifications for just the selection of apps that I want turned off. So for example I could say to Siri "turn off notifications" and it would this?

And, alternatively when I wanted to turn these notifications back on, I could set a shortcut/Siri shortcut to allow me to say to Siri "turn on notifications"

Would the above be possible, and if so, how would I do this, as I find the Shortcuts a bit difficult to understand.

Thanks in advance :)

2. mazdamiata210 macrumors 6502a

I agree, I've been looking to do this as well

3. adrianlondon macrumors 65816

adrianlondon

Correct! You'd need all the apps to support "Notifications On / Notifications Off" via a call from a shortcut. And I don't see any apps wanting to provide that feature considering how desperate most of them are for us to keep their notifications turned on.

Maybe one day Apple will force developers to allow shortcuts to control everything within an app, or provide us full access to system settings (which, in this notifications case, will allow us to do the same thing) but I'm not sure they ever intended it to go this far. I'm actually impressed we have the Shortcuts thingy at all. But now I have it, I want more!

4. Fatboy71 thread starter macrumors 65816

Fatboy71

Oh well, thanks for the help guys, I guess Shortcuts isn't going to be of much use for me, for the time been :)

5. NoBoMac macrumors 68020

NoBoMac

Hack, that I use, be judicious with what goes to the lock screen. At least then that is not cluttered and can always swipe down when unlocked to deal with all the others.