Siri sounds...different...

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by chrf097, Jun 15, 2016.

1. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I'm probably one of the few people who you could describe as a Siri power user, so the API thing is BIG for me.

However, one thing I noticed when using Siri on iOS 10 once the voice package downloaded is that it sounds...different.

Comparing the voice of Siri on iOS 9 and iOS 10, something about Siri just sounds, higher quality.

The voices are the same, but something on iOS 10 sounds different.

Does anyone else get what I'm saying?

2. mizxco macrumors 6502a

mizxco

It's the first thing I noticed. Much improved synthesizer.

Too bad the top bar on Map directions is gone. I love tapping it to hear Siri repeat the road guidance.

3. xrevilationx macrumors member

xrevilationx

Voice package downloaded? How do you download it?

4. mizxco macrumors 6502a

mizxco

It's automatic. When you first install iOS (any version), you get a monotone speech voice.
    When connected to Wifi, a voice package is downloaded and you get the natural lively-sounding Samantha.

The enhanced voice package is around 1GB, depending on language.
    Each version of iOS improves the voice synthesizer.

5. KALLT macrumors 601

You can also force the download somewhere in Settings > General > Accessibility > VoiceOver> Speech. iOS actually deletes the high-quality voices if it runs out of space. It will load them again once enough space has been freed.

6. xrevilationx macrumors member

xrevilationx

I've noticed since updating to iOs10 I only get the female Siri voice. I went into Siri settings, and I still have it on the male siri setting. What went wrong?

7. mizxco macrumors 6502a

mizxco

Perhaps they only have the enhanced Samantha at the moment, others will be ready by GM.

8. jpg macrumors regular

Yeah she definitely sound a bit different/better.

BTW, I just joked around with Siri a bit. When I asked her what she thought about WWDC she gave some funny answers:

"Developers are so funny. Everytime you say 'API' they jump out of their seats"
    "I thought there would be more wrestling."
    "Developers are an interesting species. Human-like, but somehow... different."