Siri stopped reading my texts to me

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by courtneymc, Sep 16, 2014.

1. courtneymc macrumors newbie

Hello,
    I spent 3 hours on the phone with Apple Support and still got no resolution to this issue...maybe someone here knows!

Here's the problem. When you text 'hands free' using Siri, you say 'Text Bob Smith, I"m on my way home" and Siri used to respond with something like 'your text to Bob Smith says "I'm on my way home" do you want to send, change or cancel". My Siri no longer gives me any feedback. She just puts a bubble on the screen that shows the text- who it's to, what it says, and the 'confirm' 'cancel' buttons. Or, if I just say "text Bob Smith" she used to ask me 'what do you want to say to Bob Smith?" Now she just puts up a bubble with Bob Smith's name and I hear the little 'beep beep' that she's listening. but without looking I don't know that she's heard the name I'm trying to text and is waiting for me to tell her what to say or what. This doesn't help me if I'm trying to be hands free- I have to look at the screen to see if she is texting the right person and what the text says.

On the other side, when I receive a text, and ask Siri to read it to me, she used to say "you have a text from Bob Smith "I'm on the way home". would you like to reply?". Now she just says "I'm on the way home". She doesn't tell me who sent the text or ask me if I want to reply. Again, I get the 'beep beep' that she's listening but no feedback of what she's waiting for, and not telling me who sent the text is kind of useless!

This problem is occurring on two devices, a new (less than 2 months) iPad Air and an iPhone 5. Both are fully up to date. With the support technician I reset all settings, and even did a full restore on the Ipad, to no avail. It's VERY strange that it's occurring on both my devices. And, stranger still that a full restore didn't reset it.

Any ideas?! Please help, having no hands free Siri with texting is VERY frustrating. She seems to be working for other things like 'whats on my calendar today'.

2. miamialley, Sep 16, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2014

miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Have you tried taking it to Apple? That's odd.

Maybe you need to tip Siri more? She's on strike.

3. greyhounds4 macrumors member

If you ask her to read it back to you she will.

4. Deguello macrumors 6502

"Hello,
    I spent 3 hours on the phone with Apple Support and still got no resolution to this issue..."

5. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Did it confuse you when I said TAKE IT TO APPLE? (As in Genius Bar) In-store is sometimes more effective than stupid phone support, particularly if other options are exhausted. (Phone, forums, etc).

Apology accepted.

6. Deguello macrumors 6502

Did you miss "maybe someone here knows"? The forum option has hardly been exhausted.

7. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

So you did miss it.

I think after 3 hours on phone support I'd just take it to Apple if it bothered me that much. That's my advice.

8. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

That's great for those who have a nearby Apple Store. Nearest one to me is a 3 hour drive. If I were the OP I'd be spending a little more time on forums and the phone too before taking a 6 hour round trip for a Genius Bar appointment.

9. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Then my next advice is move out of BFE!

10. courtneymc thread starter macrumors newbie

No, she won't exactly, that's the problem. I say 'read my text' and she just reads the text of the message, not who it's from, and she doesn't ask me if i want to reply. it's not working the way it used to and the way it does on other people's phones.

----------

Yes, going to the store is an option, but I also live over an hour from a store so I am hoping to avoid that by asking here. There's got to be some weird setting that is causing it!

11. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

Because the presence or non-presence of an Apple Store defines an area as BFE, eh? Look, I'm not saying that a metro area of 750k people is exactly HUGE (I grew up in a metro of almost 6 million), but I also wouldn't call an area populated by 3/4 million people as BFE.

12. Icculus macrumors 6502

I had a similar problem with Siri that when I hold down the home button the dialog thing for Siri popped up but no sound. What I did was went into settings > general > reset > reset network settings and its been perfect since. Hope this fixes your problem!

13. courtneymc thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for a useful reply ;) but unfortunately I have tried both resetting network settings and resetting all settings, and a full restore, none of that worked. Also tried turn Siri off, turn off the phone, turn her back on, nothing there either.

14. Icculus macrumors 6502

Ugh. Sorry man looks like a trip to the Apple Store is needed. I was really hopeful reset network settings would work and sound like you have eliminated software as a possibility due to the restore you did. So sorry you are having these problems.

15. Stevo1006 macrumors member

When you say restore do you mean iCloud backup? If this is the case then chances are the software bug will still be in your backup when you restore.

Best bet before going to apple is to wipe phone and install again and set up as new phone that should cure it.

Hope this helps

16. courtneymc thread starter macrumors newbie

I did a full restore and set it up as a new device but then I downloaded the backup to get all my apps and everything back on it. Is there some other way to do it?

17. hittlets macrumors newbie

Thank you very much for this recommendation. Since I updated to iOS 8 on Wednesday, Siri didn't function for me at all. I had the same problem where, regardless of how I tried to activate Siri (holding the home key down or saying, "Hey Siri") I would just get the dialogue with no sound. I reset network settings and Siri is back to normal and I have use of "Hey Siri" function.

Thanks for your help and your suggestion, Icculus. :)

18. courtneymc thread starter macrumors newbie

Finally got it figured out

After spending an hour with at least 7 stumped guys at the Apple store, one of them finally figured out what was wrong. I had added emoticons to some of my favorite contacts because it looked cute and of course these are the people who text me often and vice versa. Well, despite the fact that siri will read an emoticon when it comes in a text (have her read a text containing the smiling pile of poo for a grin) she can't read it in a contact name. So instead of saying you have a text from Bob "Mug of Beer" Smith, she just wouldn't read a name at all and just read the text.

crazy! But, once I removed emoticons from my contacts it worked fine again. :rolleyes: