SIRI, the best App I have ever seen (in my opinion)

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by gusnyc, Feb 5, 2010.

1. gusnyc macrumors 6502

I downloaded Siri Assistant.

I just can't believe it. It is incredible! What a great application. It works like magic. It is the most impressive use of voice and language recognition I've ever seen on any platform, period.

Incredibly useful. This company should be bought by Apple PRONTO and add the app as a feature to the iPhone OS. That would be a great advantage for the OS. It is THAT good.

Oh, and it is FREE!

Check it out (currently only for 3GS, other models coming soon).

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/siri-assistant/id351778157?mt=8

BTW, I am not related to that company in any form (I wish I would!)

2. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

A little odd that it says it was "built for 3GS". Under compatibility it says something about versions for 3G and iPod Touch coming soon. What would be different?

Steve

3. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I have to admit - it is a really cool app. Amazingly, it got everything I said correct - something that Dictation (which uses the same engine) doesn't. For example, I tried "find flights from denver to san francisco on united airlines this monday," and BAM - it immediately pulled up the correct flight schedule for the correct date.

Wow.

4. KidPub macrumors member

Looks like they are licensing Dragon's engine, which means that the voice-to-text is being done remotely. It's been very accurate for me so far. I like that questions are evaluated in context, so that when I say 'what about pizza?' it remembers that I'm looking for something to eat nearby.

Perry
    KidPub Press

5. fredf macrumors 6502

unfortunately it's only available in the US store. I have a US account but would it be useful in Canada? I mean would it find stuff here in Canada?
    I read a comment somewhere that it isn't terribly good in the UK.

6. Young Turk macrumors 6502

Also can endorse this FREE app - in brief testing this morning, it was 100% accurate checking steakhouses where I live, and weather in two remote Texas cities. Pretty cool, actually.

YoungTurk

7. gusnyc thread starter macrumors 6502

Better than Dragon (for me)

Wow, I don't know why, but this application understands me better than the dictation using Dragon. It may be because it put the words in context? I have an accent (I am originally from Argentina) and I haven't had problems with Siri.

I've been playing the whole lunch time with this. The way it works is fantastic. I am really, really impressed (I guess that's why I opened this thread). It feels "alive". In my experience it works better than the Dragon apps, Google voice search or Voice Control.

I like it the way it is, but I think It would be fantastic if Apple could combine this service with spotlight as a feature on the iPhone. Of course they would have to buy this company, but well... they are not short of cash.

Gus

8. samcraig macrumors P6

9. iphonetester macrumors member

I am sure that will be added soon. I also found that you will be able to book a flight and search by street name soon as well.

This is so far the APP for me!

10. realfx macrumors member

Jury is still out, but a very cool app. The icon sucks but that can be changed.

11. gusnyc thread starter macrumors 6502

I totally agree about that. I would prefer an icon with the green circle only. Anyway, it is the first app that displaced the Google icon on my home screen.

12. ougum macrumors regular

With an app this good, the ads are sure to follow. Give me a "lifetime ad-free" paid version and get it over with.

13. zjrhens macrumors newbie

For Mac OS X

Does anyone know of something like this for Mac OS X? I have seen project Jarvis which is far more advanced than this app, but it would still be cool to have something like this on my Mac.

14. benreilly macrumors newbie

There are alternative apps like the Cyman System which is being developed at the moment. Check out http://www.cymansystem.com, but don't think it's out yet. The Siri system reminds me a lot of that.

15. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Alas, it is leaving us, it seems. When you launch the app it tells you that it's "I've been replaced! The new Siri is even smarter and better-looking than me, and waiting for you on the iPhone 4S. I'll be leaving for home Oct 15th."

So, those of us who have been using it but are not in a place to buy an iPhone (4S or otherwise) are just left out in the cold? Nice...:rolleyes:

16. fjd726 macrumors regular

Stopped working as of today. Anybody still have it operating correctly. Giving me server error and stating above that it us leaving for the new iPhone.

17. Snowy_River macrumors 68030

Snowy_River

Still works for me. I'm irritated that it'll stop working soon, though.

18. dawgfan macrumors 6502

dawgfan

Mine says "Retrieval Failed. Siri could not download required information from the server. Retry."

This bites.