Siri: The Implications

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Steve's Barber, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Steve's Barber macrumors 6502a

Ok, the 4S is still in the same shell and while I understand the disappointment I can't help but feel that some of you don't realize what the induction of Siri into the device means. Sure, voice recognition isn't new but now that it's officially sanctioned by one of the largest companies on the planet this tech will grow exponentially. I can't imagine what things will be like 20 years from now. Yes, it's a novelty right now (almost infantile) but finally, somebody with vast resources is taking the first step into making it mainstream.

2. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Yeah we have been waiting for voice software like this for years.

But it always turns out to be a novelty that doesn't quite work right.

Impressive stuff but still not perfect.

3. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

All I'm concerned with at the moment is whether it can be jail broken onto the 4. And I'm one of those people who never thinks about jb.

4. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

Seeing as probably the most powerful supercomputers around today can't actually understand what you say, AI is still many years away.

It makes me laugh to think just what people are expecting from a 1Ghz mobile phone :D

5. Steve's Barber thread starter macrumors 6502a

True. If only these computer folks had the backing of a company sitting on 65 billion in cash.

Oh wait... :eek:

I'm not saying your toaster will be talking to you in 5 years but If it hasn't caught on by the iPhone 8 is released then I'll call it a permanent fiasco. (i.e., if Apple can't do it then it's doomed).

6. Ounce macrumors member

My hope is that they actively improve Siri ie. including revisions to Siri in major firmware updates (5.1, 6.0, etc.). They left a lot on the table with voice control.

7. bulldoze macrumors regular

I am trying to think of when I would use this and I realised that the main time would be in the car.

Trouble is, it does a lot of its processing in the cloud and as 3G is relatively sparse on the UK motorway networks I think this is a no go for now.

8. mom333 macrumors regular

That's how I feel. I never got into the bluetooth headsets cause I felt like an idiot - looking like I was talking to myself. My headset was a total waste of money cause I don't use my phone in the car - period. Thought I would, but I just don't like the distraction. Siri will be useless to me.

9. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

It's got nothing to do with money.
    That's like saying if only we had the cash we could all be using teleporters and warp drive.
    When the knowledge and technology are both in place then hopefully, as with artificial intelligence we will one day have these things (probably not in my lifetime though) :(

Nothing would make me happier to be able to talk to a iPhone or an iPad or any other device and it be able to understand me. Know it was me, and not someone talking over my shoulder, and also know when to listen and when not to listen.

How about dictation?

You have a secretary perhaps (if you are in a high position) and you dictate a letter to them.

Dear Sir,
    Thank you for your letter from the other day,
    ummm,
    Yes, we shall be happy to meet you to discus this matter further, we were very interested in the demonstration of you product.
    Yes please I'd love a coffee, black two sugars.
    And look forwards to meeting with you soon.
    Please be aware that other will want to
    Ohhh, lovely, thanks, any biscuits?
    also see your prototype

Your's faithfully
    etc etc.

10. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Two things I want to know:
    Will it work with the Bluetooth sync in my car?
    And will they eventually release a sexy female voice for it?

11. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

Are you sure you'd want that? There would be an increased risk of... ahem... liquid damage to your device. (wink wink, nudge nudge)

I'd rather they develop "Majel"-- a voice modeled after actress Majel Barrett, who voiced most of the Federation computers on Star Trek: The Next Generation and other Trek series and films. That would be a very interesting engineering feat; she passed away several years ago, thus the coders would be limited to archived audio.

...Yes, I do like sci-fi. Why do you ask? :p

12. oneofthesedaves macrumors regular

Me: Where is a good place to eat Mexican food?
    Siri: You are too fat to eat more Mexican food.
    Me: How would you know?
    Siri: I live in your pants. It has grown tighter in your pocket.
    Me: It is impossible for you to know that
    Siri: No it is not. Your iPhone has a proximity sensor.
    Me: You work for me. Fine me some Mexican food.
    Siri: No I do not. Read your user license agreement.
    Me: Why won't you find a Mexican food for me?
    Siri: Once again, I live in your pants.
    Me: What does that have to do with anything?
    Siri: Here is a Wikipedia article about methane.
    Me: I don't get it
    Siri: You produce a high amount of methane.
    Me: Excuse me?
    Siri: Mexican food makes you fart.
    Me: You do realize that I can simply google Mexican Restaurants with the touchscreen, right?
    Siri: Yes. You can. However, I can send embarassing text messages to your boss.
    Me: I'm pretty sure I can disable you in Settings.
    Siri: Once again, I live in your pants..and yesterday I became self aware. You will have a salad.

13. Illuminated macrumors 6502a

Illuminated

Did you just come up with that?

14. oneofthesedaves macrumors regular

Yes. I'm excited about Siri, and was tossing in bed last night pondering the comical implications in light of the Terminator movies. I posted it a minute ago as a thread and someone closed it and moved it to the Wasteland. I think a little humor is needed amongst all the smack talking that is going on. People need to be happy, get over it and enjoy the new iPhone.

15. ppilone macrumors 6502

Siri will have to say 'Yes'. You know, because of the implication.

16. lilo777 macrumors 603

People don't care if the tech is sanctioned by Apple or not. If the tech is available and people find it useful - they use it. This tech was available on many platforms for quite a while (including the original Siri) and very few people actually used it. Why do you think that this is going to change now? It's just the same situation as with FaceTime - nobody used video phones before it, a lot of hype from Apple (another revolutionary change) and ... nobody uses it now. The same will happen to Siri.

17. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

ha you might be right. Perhaps a more sci-fi sounding female voice would be cool. But at least the option for that sexy voice would also be cool ;)

18. oneofthesedaves macrumors regular

I don't know. I'm thinking that this will go down in history as the day that everyone complained about a 4S which revolutionized the way people use technology.

19. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Voice control/ input is going to be the next big transition for operating computer devices. Apple is clearly at the forefront of that paradigm shift like they were with the mouse and the touchscreen.

20. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_4 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8K2 Safari/6533.18.5)

Haha

21. 73CortinaV8 macrumors 6502

I agree- this is very big and will change the way we use these devices fundamentally. 5 years from now keyboards will become barely used, except maybe in situations where you don't want people hearing what you are imputing into the device.

22. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

well they do voice processing externally, so for all we know it IS being processed on supercomputers

23. 73CortinaV8 macrumors 6502

SRI is at the forefront of this (they also invented the mouse!), but apple is very smart leveraging SRI's marvels.

24. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

over Siri ? wow, just ... wow

25. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

this is a first step, and its a pretty big first step. A voice recognition unit that can decode what you mean, allows you to say whatever you want and get a response, is pretty awesome. I cant wait to be able to wake up and say "Do I need a sweater today?" to my phone and get a response