Siri thinks I'm across the border.....

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by surferchick2, Oct 26, 2011.

1. surferchick2, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

surferchick2 macrumors member

I'm about an hour south of Canada in Washington State and it thinks Im in Canada about 50% of the time if I ask for a business near me or even what my zip code/address is. It tells me "Sorry, I can't look for places in Canada," after checking my current location even if it's a place 5 miles away. All other apps, maps, etc that use location services know exactly where I am at these times also, so Im wondering why Siri doesn't? Does it use a different means to find my location, so that's why it's inconsistent? If that's normal, then Im not going to worry about it and will just be more specific during these times, but if it should be just as accurate as the other apps, I might have it checked out or tested.

Other than that, I find myself using Siri alot more than I anticipated and don't need to touch my phone near as much. lol.... It's great. I was thinking of waiting for the next version since, with my iPad, I wasn't in a rush for faster downloads, but I'm really happy with it.

2. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

More importantly, how do you surf up there? I can't stand having to use a wetsuit.

Anyway, what happens if you go into maps, locate yourself and then fire up Siri? Same problem?

3. bubulindo macrumors member

bubulindo

4. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

5. surferchick2 thread starter macrumors member

LOL...actually lived in So Cal and frequently drove to baja, but I have to keep my username consistent over the years in my old age or I'd get confused. *It's definitely limited up here, although there are a few areas that are decent but yeah it's freezing.

If I pull up the map before any questions, it seems to work (thanks!) but it seems like once it's in her head that the phone's in Canada, she doesn't change her mind...unlike a woman, huh. lol I did notice if I specifically hit the arrow, rather than just bring up the map to locate me, it's pretty reliable. Once it thought I was in Virginia and hung onto that for for a while, but hasn't since. Atleast its in the same region now.

No, I'm on AT&T. *I head to Canada fairly often but haven't taken my phone up there since I got it so it's not remembering something. I reset all my settings just in case anyway.

I may just do that, and ask why i have to hit the locator first for her to be accurate. Im wondering if it's the carrier though.

6. deeddawg macrumors 604

Random thought:

Have you told Siri who you are via Settings->General->Siri->MyInfo and does that contact card have work and home addresses?

7. surferchick2, Oct 26, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2011

surferchick2 thread starter macrumors member

Yes, I did that. I added my info/home address. My work is based out of state and am always travelling, so I don't have that in my contacts.