Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Anyone having problems controlling their hue lights with Siri on the Apple Watch?

Siri works great on my iPhone but when I try any commands that work on my iPhone I get this. Tried turning off Siri, rebooted my phone and watch, nothing.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    94.6 KB · Views: 159

thenumbersrbad

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2008
Anyone having problems controlling their hue lights with Siri on the Apple Watch?

Siri works great on my iPhone but when I try any commands that work on my iPhone I get this. Tried turning off Siri, rebooted my phone and watch, nothing.
What app are you using?

twentyred

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Yes, the watch is usually slower (than iPhone) for me, and sometimes gives the message you have or says it's having troubling communicating with the lights.

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Yes, the watch is usually slower (than iPhone) for me, and sometimes gives the message you have or says it's having troubling communicating with the lights.

I can understand that but it hasn't worked a single time. And it's worked every time with my iPhone so this is kinda crummy. Thanks!

twentyred

macrumors newbie
Jun 9, 2007
Birmingham, UK
Try changing the Zigbee channel on the Hue bridge. Hue was rarely ever responding to Siri on the watch: changing the channel on the bridge means I get this message a *lot* less often now [In the Hue app for iPhone: Settings - My Bridge - Zigbee channel change].

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
Try changing the Zigbee channel on the Hue bridge. Hue was rarely ever responding to Siri on the watch: changing the channel on the bridge means I get this message a *lot* less often now [In the Hue app for iPhone: Settings - My Bridge - Zigbee channel change].

That seems to have helped. I had to reboot both my phone and watch, and then it took a few tries, one time it even said Siri isn't connected to the iPhone. But after all that, it work 4 times in a row.

Clearly there some bugs with Siri to the iPhone which is sure annoying. Let's see if it keeps working.

Thanks for the suggestion!

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009

I've tried using the watch sporadically through the day so far and changing the channel looks like it did it. Glad we have this on the net since there wasn't anywhere I could find that solution so others will know.

Curious, have you been able to group your hue and if you have say an ecobee so it changes them all with one command? The net seems thin with how to do this. There was some talk there was supposed to be a Home app to setup HomeKit but obviously that never came out.

Hue in their videos showed you could say, I'm going to bed and the lights turn off and the temp changes, and I know Apple has Groups setup but that's as far as I could get.

friedmud

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
To be able to do more with Homekit you need to get a third party app that allows you to do groupings and triggers. I personally picked up Home ( https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/home-home-automation-homekit/id995994352?mt=8 ). It's somewhat expensive ($15) but it is very full featured.

It let's you create "Rooms" and "Zones" in your house so you can tell Siri: "Turn on the Bedroom lights" or "Turn on the upstairs lights" and it will work. You can group multiple Homekit devices together for certain actions (like "Goodnight", etc.) and you can set "triggers" (like leaving your home) that modify multiple Homekit compatible devices.

cpenner

macrumors regular
Aug 19, 2013
I've tried using the watch sporadically through the day so far and changing the channel looks like it did it. Glad we have this on the net since there wasn't anywhere I could find that solution so others will know.

Curious, have you been able to group your hue and if you have say an ecobee so it changes them all with one command? The net seems thin with how to do this. There was some talk there was supposed to be a Home app to setup HomeKit but obviously that never came out.

Hue in their videos showed you could say, I'm going to bed and the lights turn off and the temp changes, and I know Apple has Groups setup but that's as far as I could get.

With the Hue app, you can create a scene involving all lights and have them set all to off. If you name that scene "I'm going to bed", you can then tell that to Siri and she'll apply that scene. I highly recommend getting a better HomeKit app, like Home (paid) or Elgato Eve (free), though. The Hue app is rather poor, and these apps let you group your lights into rooms and zones, which makes controlling them significantly easier.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see friedmud's reply, but that's exactly what I was getting at

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
With the Hue app, you can create a scene involving all lights and have them set all to off. If you name that scene "I'm going to bed", you can then tell that to Siri and she'll apply that scene. I highly recommend getting a better HomeKit app, like Home (paid) or Elgato Eve (free), though. The Hue app is rather poor, and these apps let you group your lights into rooms and zones, which makes controlling them significantly easier.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't see friedmud's reply, but that's exactly what I was getting at

Thanks! Actually in another thread, another user and I have gotten into a pretty lengthy discussion about such things. It's actually pretty interesting because we are using the ecobee thermostat and were trying to achieve some things through the Home and like apps.

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/best-homekit-enabled-thermostat.1933279/page-2#post-22238779

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
yes siri still have lots of bugs when it comes to homekit.... Sometimes i ask siri "turn on the lamp", she answers back can't help you with that, but the lamp still turns on... sometimes the opposite turn off the lamp answers ok lights are turned off meanwhile the light are still on... can you imagine problems like this with a smartlock?:eek:

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
yes siri still have lots of bugs when it comes to homekit.... Sometimes i ask siri "turn on the lamp", she answers back can't help you with that, but the lamp still turns on... sometimes the opposite turn off the lamp answers ok lights are turned off meanwhile the light are still on... can you imagine problems like this with a smartlock?:eek:

Yep, that's why I won't be going that route for awhile. For example, I have the Home app setup to turn on my lights/ecobee when I get home with geofencing. Sometimes I wake up in the morning and my lights are turned on, from what I think is it getting the gps ping again. No way I'm gonna let that happen with my locks unlocking with geofencing misfires.

Arran

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2008
Atlanta, USA

I got that all the time.

After installing iOS 9.2 on my phone yesterday, Siri on the watch works perfectly.

dschulian

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2015
Germany
If you want to organize your home you should try out the app called "Eve" - It's free!
You don't need to have any Eve Products and you can create rooms and organize your home.

After I created rooms and added my bulbs to them, I never had any further problems with Hue.

The only thing I find annoying is, that only one person (the owner) can create and edit scenes.

knemonic

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 14, 2009
I got that all the time.

After installing iOS 9.2 on my phone yesterday, Siri on the watch works perfectly.

Hmm, interesting. I had found a solution that by changing the channel of the Hue helped a lot but maybe they finally fixed the bug in general, didn't even think to try things with hue last night after I installed, will definetly now.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.