Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

navodwickra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Leeds, UK
I may be wrong here but since this morning SIRI seems to have a new voice. Might be only available for betas (7.1 that is) but it is definitely different. Anyone else noticed it? :eek:

Last edited:

navodwickra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Leeds, UK
Must be just beta 3 then :D

qe8aSST.png

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I don't get this option, I am using English (United Kingdom) and on 7.1b3

:(

skwood

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2013
England
New UK male and female voice

On my 5S and iPad Air running 7.1b3 I'm getting new, better sounding male voice as well as the new female voice. I'm in the UK.

Sounds awesome :D

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
Both my (US) iPad Air and iPhone 5S have had a gender selection for the Siri voice for a while. The female voice sounds American. Does the British female voice have a British accent? :rolleyes:

navodwickra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Leeds, UK
Both my (US) iPad Air and iPhone 5S have had a gender selection for the Siri voice for a while. The female voice sounds American. Does the British female voice have a British accent? :rolleyes:

Americans get almost all the options first :p
In the UK, no we didn't have that option before still no itunes radio (Just in case if you don't know)

And yes the accent sounds very British to me ;)

----------

Not there for me, which is annoying as the male voice does my head in, especially using Apple Maps when driving.

Trust me the new mail voice is much much better. I didn't notice it until this morning I asked Siri to call my wife and it replied me in a very different and a natural voice.

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA
In the UK, no we didn't have that option before still no itunes radio (Just in case if you don't know)

I want that ! I have the speech synthesizer on my iMac set to one of the British chicks.... so hot! The South African girl isn't bad either! :D

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK

----------

Trust me the new mail voice is much much better. I didn't notice it until this morning I asked Siri to call my wife and it replied me in a very different and a natural voice.

I take it you're talking about the male voice in beta 3 yes? It still sounds the same to me. I use Apple maps on a daily basis and haven't noticed a single change in tone. I just thank the lord when my next turn instruction is more than 5 miles away. Means I can drive and listen to an entire song without being interrupted by his voice.

I changed my Siri settings to US Female and much preferred it (probably because 10 years of Tom Tom use have made me accustomed to that sort of voice) but sadly living in the south west, she has real trouble with some of the place names.

navodwickra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Leeds, UK
I want that ! I have the speech synthesizer on my iMac set to one of the British chicks.... so hot! The South African girl isn't bad either! :D

I always thought British accent sounds more evil :p

Anywhore give it a try if you are on beta 3 :D

----------

I take it you're talking about the male voice in beta 3 yes? It still sounds the same to me. I use Apple maps on a daily basis and haven't noticed a single change in tone. I just thank the lord when my next turn instruction is more than 5 miles away. Means I can drive and listen to an entire song without being interrupted by his voice.

I changed my Siri settings to US Female and much preferred it (probably because 10 years of Tom Tom use have made me accustomed to that sort of voice) but sadly living in the south west, she has real trouble with some of the place names.

I'm not sure why you didn't (and some others) get that option :confused: I will try it on my iPad when I get home which also runs beta 3.

RebornProphet

Suspended
Nov 3, 2013
Good find!

My iPad 4th gen running 7.1 b3 has the option for a female voice in UK English and it sounds great. Far more fluid and not as robotic as previous Siri voices.

navodwickra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Leeds, UK
No new voices for me on iOS 7.1 b3 on iPad Air. Choosing language as UK English just has the same guy as always.

Might be a random thing then, some of us got it today (who are on beta 3).

----------

Good find!

My iPad 4th gen running 7.1 b3 has the option for a female voice in UK English and it sounds great. Far more fluid and not as robotic as previous Siri voices.

I almost stopped walking as soon as SIRI replied me this morning :p

Twimfy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 11, 2011
UK

----------

I'm not sure why you didn't (and some others) get that option :confused: I will try it on my iPad when I get home which also runs beta 3.

Maybe they're doing A B testing??

tgara

macrumors 65816
Jul 17, 2012
Connecticut, USA

I'm not on the beta, but I just found out that my US iPhone 5S has Australian English, Canadian English, British English, and American English, although only the American English gives me an option for choosing gender. The others do not, but some voices are male and some are female. The British English voice is some hackney bloke who sounds like he just had a pint. The Australian voice is a chick, but not has hot sounding as a true Brit. The Canadian English voice is a chick too, but she sounds American (no surprise).

navodwickra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Leeds, UK
I'm not on the beta, but I just found out that my US iPhone 5S has Australian English, Canadian English, British English, and American English, although only the American English gives me an option for choosing gender. The others do not, but some voices are male and some are female. The British English voice is some hackney bloke who sounds like he just had a pint. The Australian voice is a chick, but not has hot sounding as a true Brit. The Canadian English voice is a chick too, but she sounds American (no surprise).

The new UK male voice is much better. Its really strange because my ipad mini running beta 3 doesnt have this option but my iphone has.

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
I'm hoping, even if not all beta testers are getting it (including me), this is a sign the new and better male and female voices for UK (and probably a few other countries/languages) will debut with the 7.1 release.

----------

Oh, is it possible the voices have to download over wifi? I may be wrong but I think when you do a clean install of iOS, the HD voice pack has to be downloaded in the background, and possibly only whilst on wifi.

So it's quite feasible the updates pack needs wifi too?

I have been away for a couple of days but I'm back tonight and will be able to connect to wifi overnight and see if I have it in the morning.

----------

Reference: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5025

navodwickra

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2013
Leeds, UK
I'm hoping, even if not all beta testers are getting it (including me), this is a sign the new and better male and female voices for UK (and probably a few other countries/languages) will debut with the 7.1 release.

----------

Oh, is it possible the voices have to download over wifi? I may be wrong but I think when you do a clean install of iOS, the HD voice pack has to be downloaded in the background, and possibly only whilst on wifi.

So it's quite feasible the updates pack needs wifi too?

I have been away for a couple of days but I'm back tonight and will be able to connect to wifi overnight and see if I have it in the morning.

----------

Reference: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5025

My iPhone , iPad Mini Retina & my wife's iphone all run beta 3 but only my iPhone got the new updated voice and all the devices are on wifi :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.