Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

manhattanmania

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
A little confused... on my 6+, Siri will unlock the phone if I buy a song. For instance, I use Siri to use shazam and identify a song, but then when I tap buy it just goes into the iTunes store/unlocks the phone completely. Shouldn't I have to unlock the phone after clicking buy???

bd4

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2014
Probably it unlocks your phone using Touch ID when you have pressed the home button in order to activate Siri?
Try it with another finger that isn't enabled for Touch ID.

michikade

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2014
Somewhere in Texas
Is this a Hey Siri command or is it a regular press-to-activate Siri command?

If it's Hey Siri, yeah, it's a bug because Siri actually tells me I have to unlock my phone to open this or that. If it's press-to-activate it may be Touch ID picking up.

manhattanmania

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007
Probably it unlocks your phone using Touch ID when you have pressed the home button in order to activate Siri?
Try it with another finger that isn't enabled for Touch ID.

Good call! Locked me out with an unrecognized finger. I gotta say that is very slick of apple to automatically recognize your finger while using Siri! These details make me love them

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
Good call! Locked me out with an unrecognized finger. I gotta say that is very slick of apple to automatically recognize your finger while using Siri! These details make me love them

Well not to burst your bubble but thats not how it works. Its definitely not a "feature"

If you use siri on the home screen you should not be unlocking your phone. Its user error and your leaving your finger on the touch id button too long.

As a precaution id test this by launching siri then canceling. You shouldn't have unlocked your phone. Good luck

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Well not to burst your bubble but thats not how it works. Its definitely not a "feature"

If you use siri on the home screen you should not be unlocking your phone. Its user error and your leaving your finger on the touch id button too long.

As a precaution id test this by launching siri then canceling. You shouldn't have unlocked your phone. Good luck

You're mistaken.

Go into settings and enable access to Siri on the lock screen.

Access Siri using an unregistered digit and say 'run music' - it will ask you to unlock your phone.

Now access Siri using a registered digit and say the same thing - it will run the music app.

Holding down to load Siri does read your fingerprint.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
You're mistaken.

Go into settings and enable access to Siri on the lock screen.

Access Siri using an unregistered digit and say 'run music' - it will ask you to unlock your phone.

Now access Siri using a registered digit and say the same thing - it will run the music app.

Holding down to load Siri does read your fingerprint.

I understand where you're coming from, but this may hold true for the music app since you're launching it.

Access siri and send a text to someone. Once you're done your phone will still be locked.

Yes you're right that it uses the fingerprint to launch an app, its the same for all apps, but I'm just trying to say that using siri on the lock screen won't automatically unlock it

matttye

macrumors 601
Mar 25, 2009
Lincoln, England
Once you've used it to launch an app, if you hit home then it takes you to your home screen.

But yes, using Siri to perform a command that doesn't run an app won't get you past the lock screen.

manhattanmania

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 9, 2007

Actually it is how it works. I'm not leaving my finger on the home button "too long" and it's not "user error." I'm holding down the home button from the lock screen just long enough to activate Siri and then remove my finger. Ask to identify song. It does. I tap buy and it remembers that because I used a recognized finger it can let me in the phone. Not sure what you're talking about.

bmms8

macrumors 68020
Dec 19, 2007
Actually it is how it works. I'm not leaving my finger on the home button "too long" and it's not "user error." I'm holding down the home button from the lock screen just long enough to activate Siri and then remove my finger. Ask to identify song. It does. I tap buy and it remembers that because I used a recognized finger it can let me in the phone. Not sure what you're talking about.

The poster above you said it best.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.