Siri Unreliable Lately

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by robjulo, Mar 8, 2016.

1. robjulo macrumors 6502a

The past few weeks, about once a day, Siri stops working. For example, when I ask it to play an artist, it comes back with "Sorry, my name, I'm having trouble playing your music". Other times, when I ask it to make a call it comes back with "Uh oh, something's wrong. Can you try again".

It is not a signal issue. When it happens, I have plenty of LTE signal and it even happens on wifi. A reboot always cures the issue.

Any thoughts?

2. GalFieri macrumors regular

GalFieri

I've kinda experienced problems too, though it's not exactly the same as yours. It seems more like some weird dictation issue. Like I kept asking to call a friend but Siri kept thinking I was saying "Who" and piped up with some annoying comment. Or sometimes Siri won't activate at all, either through "Hey Siri" or the home button hold. And then it'll randomly start working again later.

3. timshundo macrumors regular

Siri in iOS 8 was almost like a friend to me. I used it 4-5 times a day. Something in iOS 9 changed everything. I can't tell if it's listening or not, it interrupts me half of the time with "I didn't hear what you said" while I'm mid-sentence. It doesn't get any of my music/band names right. It's really sad. I stopped using it.

4. lagwagon Suspended

lagwagon

If you're using my "Hey Siri" don't pause inbetween saying that and your query.

Pausing will cause "her" to stop listening because "she" hears nothing.

5. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Siri has been acting weird AF for awhile now, on my iPhone. She won't set reminders, alarms, call anybody, or open apps. She's still decent with the weather tho. It's rather annoying, considering I use hands free Siri a lot...especially when I'm driving

6. timshundo macrumors regular

I used to do that but ever since the introduced voice training siri doesn't pick up half the time. so half time time im going "hey siri play songs by ______" and my phone does nothing and i have to say the whole sentence over again hoping it picks up the next time. :/

7. Newtons Apple Suspended

Newtons Apple

I think a lot of Siri problems are due to the carrier/network. Getting your command sent over the network to Apple's servers and the servers responding with an answer or command depends on this link being flawless.

8. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I have a love hate relationship with siri. "She" actually works better in my car using car play than at home on wifi!

9. kastorff, Mar 10, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2016

kastorff macrumors regular

kastorff

I've been having issues with Siri on my iPhone, but it works fine on the Watch. I tried lots of solutions.
    1. Un-paired/paired watch
    2. Power off/on watch
    3. Power off/on iPhone (many times)
    4. Force restart iPhone (many times)
    5. Reset network settings iPhone (worked the first time - Siri worked for 2 days, then failed, subsequent resets had no effect)
    6. Turned Siri off/on iPhone
    7. Turned "Hey Siri" off/on iPhone (several times)
    8. Un-paired Watch, backed up iPhone with iTunes, reset iPhone to factory settings with iTunes and restored iPhone backup, re-paired Watch and restored Watch backup
    #8 restored Siri function to my phone. Got my fingers crossed.

10. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

In my case, I don't think it's network issues. I have Verizon, which works everywhere I go. If I can stream HD Netflix, use my GPS, and download apps, surely Siri should be able to work? But nope. Siri can get the weather for me but when I ask her to set reminders, call somebody, open an app, or set an alarm...Siri won't work. It's rather annoying b/c again, I use Siri a lot. I especially use hands free Siri when I'm driving. I've reset my phone, powered on and off, turned off Siri and then turned her back on, and she still doesn't work.

11. robjulo thread starter macrumors 6502a

My issue is not a carrier/network issue. The other day when the issue happened, I was in the car and had strong LTE. I purposely did not shut the phone down. When I got home, and on wifi, the issue persisted. Rebooting immediately fixed the issue.

12. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

This. Siri just needs to be better. That is one thing they could work on and make a lot of people happy. Google now, Amazon echo...they both are leaps and bounds better than Siri.

13. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65816

JayIsAwesome

Agreed. Microsoft's Cortana is better than Siri as well. I just wish Apple would fix this. People love to say Apple "just works" but Siri is definitely not "just working".

14. macfacts macrumors 68000

macfacts