Siri users, how often do you use Siri or how useful is it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by coolwater, Mar 13, 2012.

1. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I don't have Siri so I was really expecting Siri on iPad 3 (The New iPad) so I am really disappointed.

But, I wonder how often do people use Siri on their iPhone and how useful Siri is.

2. iMaven macrumors 6502

iMaven

Siri is still in beta. That's probably why it wasn't included on the iPad. They added dictation instead.

3. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

wouldn't this be more appropriate in the iPhone forum (where your audience DEFINATELY carries iPhones)?

Anyway, I don't use it at all. I used it mabye twice and I've had the phone since november

4. SoonerFan303 macrumors member

I never use it. It works well, but I hardly ever have a use case for it. Not a big deal imo.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Not often. Used more when it was super cold around here and I was wearing gloves. But I can't remember the last time I used it.

6. coolwater thread starter macrumors 6502a

coolwater

I thought about that too but I wanted hear from iPad users.

7. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Siri not being on the iPad 3 was not deal breaker. I used it at first on my 4S but seldom, so not haivng Siri on my new iPad is no even a problem!

8. Grease2310 macrumors member

I'll be the detractor in the use category. I use Siri all the time on my iPhone, but I feel it's important to make that distinction. I would most likely never use her on iPad and theres a few reasons why, but the main one is I own an iPhone.

My iPhone is ALWAYS on me, and that means if someone wants to set up a meeting with me, give me their contact info, I want to change my work calendar, or I need to set-up a reminder to pick up bread on the way home from work tonight I'll whip out my iPhone and Siri will do my bidding. Consequently all my other iOS devices (my iPad for example) as well as my home Macs will get that same meeting, contact, schedule, or reminder. In a way my secretary, Siri, has taken care of all the grunt work just like a real secretary would have. How likely am I to want to do any of that with my iPad that is A) not always with me B) usually in a bag or a briefcase when it IS with me C) 10 inches big, so big I'd look like an idiot holding it up and talking to it? And yes this is also a passing shot at the Galaxy Note.

Voice dictation will be a great feature for taking notes, writing quick iMessages, or playing Scriblenauts... and that's why it was included. I'm sure 70-90% of iPad users have iPhones so Siri seems kind of redundant in that regard for my reasons above.

9. WRP macrumors 6502a

my girlfriend uses it all the time. I never do. She seems to like it.

10. ZombiePete macrumors 68020

ZombiePete

I used it a lot when I first got my iPhone 4S, but that gradually tapered off to almost never. I'm just so used to typing to interface with my phone it feels faster to do that than to activate Siri and wait for a response.

The only thing I do use Siri for to this day is to create reminders.

11. JUiCEJamie macrumors 6502a

JUiCEJamie

True. But to use dictation, you must be connected to the internet.
    I just don't understand why only a limited amount of the software has been implemented.

But, the new iPad is of course powerful enough to run it. We hopefully might see it in iOS6 perhaps?

12. d0vr macrumors 6502a

I personally didn't want siri on an iPad 3 (other than to use it to port siri to iPhone 4), and am glad they didn't include it.

13. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I'm actually rather glad it's not on the iPad... I think it's weird to talk to your electronics. I mean, I sleep with my iPhone but I don't TALK to it... :D

14. KeithJenner macrumors 6502a

I use Siri probably only 2-3 times a week.

However, I would still say that I find it very useful. I may not use it often, but when I do it is really handy.

15. Ecoh macrumors 6502a

Ecoh

Siri is actually one of my favorite things on the iPhone. All the reason Grease 2310 stated, plus I don't have to find my reading glasses just to send a simple text or email.

I use Siri often on the iPhone, but I don't think I would ever use it on the iPad.

16. thuchu1 macrumors regular

thuchu1

Siri really comes in handy for calendar appointments and reminders. The things where you have to type through a bunch of settings are a lot easier said than done... so now you can say them instead. Taking quick note and getting a phone number works well too, but I never use it to search the web or anything.

iCloud and a 4S make it a non-essential item for the iPad but dictation will be nice for emails.

17. iCarabma macrumors 6502

I use Siri a fair amount. I find myself doing things that I wouldn't normally do because Siri makes it easier.

I never used any kind of reminder app and used the calendar sporadically before, but Siri makes it quick and painless.

I am absolutely convinced that Apple wants Siri everywhere. I believe Siri will soon be everywhere. I think it's coming to iPads and Apple TV and whatever iTV winds up being and maybe even Macs.

But even after 6 months Siri is down all the time. The next iPhone will have Siri (of course) and every iPhone so far has sold more than ALL PREVIOUS MODELS COMBINED.

I just don't think they want to add 30-40 million iPads to that load, until they build it out more on their end. And I was pleasantly surprised that they added voice dictation.