Siri Voice Actress Susan Bennett Reveals More Details About the Origins of Apple's Virtual Assistant

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Peel macrumors 6502a

Peel

Sir, the internet is yours today.

2. Kabeyun macrumors 68020

Kabeyun

"We had no real idea of what we were doing."

When it comes to Siri, it still feels that way.
    Nominated for comment of the month.

3. Janichsan macrumors 68000

Janichsan

When reading this…
    …I can't help but immediately think of this:

4. samcraig macrumors P6

The article is riddled with a false premise. Apple did not create Siri. Apple bought Siri pretty late in the "game" and integrated into there phone.

5. dannyyankou macrumors G3

dannyyankou

6. heimo macrumors 6502

Now that is funny. And true. And funny. Damn I laughed. Thank you Sir.

7. mcfrazieriv macrumors 6502a

mcfrazieriv

You made my day. LOL! This is spot on.
    Her: "I don't understand 'This is spon on', would you like me to check the internet?"

8. Harshan macrumors newbie

I set Siri to have a male voice, for two reasons. A male voice is lower and easier to hear. As men get older, their hearing degrades from the high frequencies down. Also, a lower pitch is richer because it has more harmonics within the human hearing range; just bang on a piano to test my assertion.

Nearly every device that synthesizes a voice is female, and I think that comes from the stereotype that people in helping professions are stereotypically female. Ask any male nurse. In fact, we have to say "male nurse" because of the stereotype.

I think a female Siri is sexist.

9. jccrtv macrumors newbie

"I found this on the web about how to make eggs and toast."

10. obamtl macrumors regular

How did Apple fall so far behind with Siri? They better have something special planned this year. I've owned every iteration of the iPhone since the 3GS, and Google is finally starting to turn my head.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

Past rumors indicated Siri has a team of engineers working on revamping the dictation and deciphering. I think those changes will be coming soon, perhaps by iOS 11, which I would greatly appreciate, being I Siri frequently for dictation and other tasks. Siri has the potential, it just needs to the appropriate maintenance to move forward.

12. atomic.flip macrumors regular

atomic.flip

Yeah... have to agree with this. New iOS design is just awful. Android pulled off flat design well in it's base form. Windows 8-10 mobile even better. But iOS flat design is an awful pastel mess. And for the LOVE OF GOD please give us a media player with a BLACK background. Nothing is more irritating than staring at the music player at night with that awful white light glaring in my face.
    --- Post Merged, Apr 14, 2017 ---
    Probably, but they will likely require a purchase of the iPhone (S) or X to get the "really good" dictation. LOL
    --- Post Merged, Apr 14, 2017 ---
    I own several "current" iOS devices. Apple and iOS in general are still my "Go To" computing platforms. But I have to say I am really enjoying my Windows 10 Surface Pro and desktop machines more than I am Mac OS on any machine right now.

And voice command integration with Cortana is leaps and bounds better than the half baked approach to dumping Siri on Mac OS.

13. jigzaw macrumors 6502

Susan Bennett followed me on twitter a couple years ago for no reason that I could discern, but I found it amusing.

14. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

Koothrappali, we've told you a million times, that's creepy.:p:D

15. SeattleMoose macrumors 68000

Now if Siri would just work. Hoping that Apple "innovates" by going from 50% to 60% functional and accurate.

16. 6foot5foot Suspended

Tips for an audio interview based entirely on an audio topic:

~1 Download the mp3 from the article.
    ~2 Get off the internet (so you can focus on ONE THING - what she's saying.)
    ~3 Listen to the interview.
    ~4 I bet barely 1% of you can do the above - stay off Macrumors long enough to focus on this.

17. Robert.Walter macrumors 68000

Robert.Walter

And your point is?

18. 6foot5foot Suspended

And your point regarding my non-point, which I didn't say I was trying to make, but you implied I did... IS?

Sorry, internet random, I don't feel the need to justify myself to you - maybe try someone else.

19. komone macrumors member

Mic looks like a Neumann U87 to me.

20. tennisproha macrumors 65816

Hah, I didn't even give that a second thought. I miss the linens. :(

21. kdarling macrumors P6

kdarling

First university coding class = 47 years ago
    First off, by lobotomizing it. According to the makers, Siri was capable of parsing info from two dozen different info and review sites (Yelp, Google, you name it) so it could respond intelligently to requests such as "Suggest a romantic Italian restaurant for dinner near my office."

Apple removed all that intelligence, reportedly because they'd rather have something super simple and reliable, instead of cutting edge.

Interestingly, Verizon had signed a deal in 2009 to put the original super kind of Siri on their Android phones.

But before that could happen, Apple nixed Verizon's deal after buying Siri for themselves in 2010.

22. Jstuts5797 macrumors 6502a

Roflmao... legitimately laughing out loud at this. Although my Siri actually understands me well.

23. Jstuts5797 macrumors 6502a

Wasn't Siri a standalone app before Apple bought it? I remember having it on my phone. Apple bought it, removed it from the App Store, then improved and integrated it into the iPhone.

24. macduke macrumors G4

macduke

It seems so long ago, but it really wasn't. I prefer the look of things today, and at least on my iPhone 7, iOS 10 seems as stable as iOS 6. They've done a good job with about everything except Siri and some iCloud issues. But iOS for iPad could use some work to make it better for professionals.

25. Tech198 macrumors G5

"Bennett's job during that summer was to recite "nonsense phrases" that made little to no sense."

haha.I think that just sums it up.

I guess when your the originator, it doesn't really matter how it turns out to some... Just as long as u feel good that u were the one.