Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

danielbrowning

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2009
Hi all.

I've changed my country to the US in Siri's options, just to try the female voice for a change as the UK Siri options is only male.

Everything seems to be fine, but when navigating using Maps, Siri uses the British voice only.

Any ideas why? iOS7b4.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
Hi all.

I've changed my country to the US in Siri's options, just to try the female voice for a change as the UK Siri options is only male.

Everything seems to be fine, but when navigating using Maps, Siri uses the British voice only.

Any ideas why? iOS7b4.

Probably for the same reason US users have some issues when using British voices. The voice does not "understand" certain abbreviations that are country specific.

Example: We use Dr. as an abbreviation for Drive as in the road name "Acme Drive." For a time, my British voice would say, "Turn left onto Acme doctor."

Was pretty funny (and eventually fixed by Garmin), but there are a ton of other examples that really show how differently we say things...and can be quite confusing.

Of course, I'm just guessing this is the reason....:p

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Jun 2, 2008
Is it a relevant time to see if apple included the function to get siri to repeat the navigation instructions? (which google maps has......)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.