Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

31420068-1353-486b-9ea3-2967eb6efbed-500x331.jpg

Voice recognition and control was revealed as Apple's surprise feature for the iPhone 4S. The technology, which Apple acquired in its acquisition of Siri, is now built into iOS 5 and supported on the iPhone 4S.
For decades technologists have teased us with this dream that we can talk to our technology. But it's never come true! It's such a let-down! What we really want to do is just talk to our device!
In the demo, Apple's Scott Forstall asked Siri "What's the weather like today?" and received the forecast. "Find me a great Greek restaurant in Palo Alto." "I've found 14 Greek restaurants... 5 of them are in Palo Alto. I've sorted them by rating." Forstall says "I've been in the AI field a long time. This blows me away." Siri can also return Wikipedia and Wolfram Alpha searches, or return word definitions.

In addition to following voice instructions, Siri can also read your messages to you, straight from the notification queue, hands-free.
Compose and dictate email right to Siri. Set timers. Look up contacts, create notes, search the web, search Wikipedia. It's absolutely blow-away. Well, who is Siri? Just ask!" Siri: "I am a humble personal assistant."

Siri does dictation -- now whenever you see a keyboard, you'll see a microphone. Talk to Siri, tap done, and in the blink of an eye it comes back with your text. Speak with your natural language.
This Is My Next, commenting on the Siri demonstration, is impressed: "the tech is pretty amazing -- Siri will follow along with your actions and understand context. Still, Scott has to talk to the machine slowly, like you would to a child or a foreign language speaker."

Siri includes support for English, French, and German -- in beta. "It will be beta at the start; by beta we mean we'll add more languages and services over time."

Article Link: Siri Voice Recognition Arrives On the iPhone 4S

DESNOS

macrumors 6502
Aug 24, 2011
I don't understand how they justify claiming this only works on the iPhone 4S... This may be a feature worth jailbreaking to get, if it really works as well as they claim. I'm betting Siri got a little bit of training behind the scenes before they went up on stage with it, but it's still impressive nonetheless.

gmans46

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
it makes me angry that they throw that in and only on the 4s so that its worth upgrading because honestly nothing else is. either way I'm sure it'll be jailbroken somehow and ill do that for once I'm unimpressed with the upgrade

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
I'm with others on this, very disappointed to see Siri being an iPhone 4S-only feature. It may very well become available to us who have iPhone 4 through jailbreak because when you think about it, there shouldn't be anything about the new hardware that makes Siri require an iPhone 4S to run.

craig1410

macrumors 65816
Mar 22, 2007
Scotland
Has anyone seen anything to confirm this won't work on the iPhone 4 or is that just an assumption? I really hope there is some way to get this working on iPhone 4 - it looks fantastic!

(crosses fingers, toes, arms, legs, eyes...)

0x000000

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2011
This is siriously underwhelming. They didn't even bother renaming it! What have they been doing all those months? The stock is plummeting and all I can say is: well deserved.

ANDI54

macrumors member
Jun 7, 2009
No surprises this time...
...16 months wait for an antenna that works, no redesign & a crap gimmick you can only use when it's silent around you...
Goodbye crapple...i'm pretty disgusted & feeling let down, but not surprised at all...
Fanboys are so loyal and apple just p*ss on them every time because they know they can...

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
Yes, start by taking a hammer to any and all Apple hardware you now own - they purposely let everyone down by not introducing a new design iPhone with a bigger screen and super duper faster processor and 4G speed and and and.

Very odd that people have such strange expectations - if you want a bigger screen, either buy an android phone or try to get a job at Apple as a industrial designer or product manager and make the suggestion for a bigger screen.

I'm pretty sure Apple has looked at just about every aspect of every possible spec for a smart phone. They chose what they chose for reasons they don't necessarily need to explain to you or anyone for that matter.

You don't know and don't think big picture (not big screen) the way that Apple does. If all you care about is specs, please go get yourself any other manufacturers phone and enjoy you got the spec you wanted.

And for those people who say voice control is available already - it's not in the same integrated way just introduced by Apple.

ade2bee

macrumors regular
Dec 13, 2009
it makes me angry that they throw that in and only on the 4s so that its worth upgrading because honestly nothing else is. either way I'm sure it'll be jailbroken somehow and ill do that for once I'm unimpressed with the upgrade

Josh Lowensohn CNET: Schiller back up, running down the features:

"natural language, conversational, contextual, personal, works with built-in apps, dictation everywhere, works on 3G + iPhone"

With iPhone 4S works with english, french and German. That's in the Beta. Adding more languages and services as it goes.

bgcat57

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2008
Arriving on the 4S?!?

How is this different than the SIRI app I've had on my phone for well over a year? First on the 3GS, then after the iPhone 4 came out in 2010, on that as well, with voice recognition.

The only difference is that instead of adding it for free from the App Store, it's already there.

gmans46

macrumors regular
Feb 24, 2011
Josh Lowensohn CNET: Schiller back up, running down the features:

"natural language, conversational, contextual, personal, works with built-in apps, dictation everywhere, works on 3G + iPhone"

With iPhone 4S works with english, french and German. That's in the Beta. Adding more languages and services as it goes.

so your saying it'll work on the 4?

----------

Arriving on the 4S?!?

How is this different than the SIRI app I've had on my phone for well over a year? First on the 3GS, then after the iPhone 4 came out in 2010, on that as well, with voice recognition.

The only difference is that instead of adding it for free from the App Store, it's already there.

what app is that exactly?

generationxwing

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2005
Calgary
This is siriously underwhelming. They didn't even bother renaming it! What have they been doing all those months? The stock is plummeting and all I can say is: well deserved.

Well, this about sums it up correctly. If an Apple nerd hates it, it'll be a hit in the market.

People around here hated the iPod, hated the iPad and just about every other product Apple releases.

milo

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2003
How is this different than the SIRI app I've had on my phone for well over a year?

The difference is that the version you have is much more limited, they had to make compromises due to not having enough processing power to run the full version that's on the 4S. There was an MR post about it a few days back, you can go back and read the details there.

So will Siri run on the iPad 2 since it has the same processor and memory?

generationxwing

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2005
Calgary
Agree, this was very disappointing..

How? How on Earth was any of this disappointing? The rumour mill comes up with the most impossible products every year, and every year what you dream of never happens. Every single year! My God, if you haven't learned by now there is no hope for you.

neilford

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
los angeles
Siri Assistant no longer available in iTunes

Also, my copy no longer works. Is this app dead now for those who don't have an iphone 4s? :-(

marksman

macrumors 603
Jun 4, 2007
Seems to work very similar to how I expected and to the examples I was using yesterday.

Very interested in trying this out. Several different examples of things in the demo I felt would be very good uses of the device, especially when I just want to check something very quickly. Just having to ask for it would be a much quicker and less burdensome way for those kinds of interactions.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.