Siri voice still not clear

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by LOLZpersonok, Jun 29, 2014.

1. LOLZpersonok macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I have an iPhone 5, since May of 2013. Ever since iOS 7 came out, the voices for Siri have been perfect, clear and very human. But, I had my phone replaced a few months ago. It came with iOS 6 installed, and when I upgraded it back to iOS 7, the voice sounded muffled and very robotic. And it still does.

It's said that the voices will download after the update, presumably to keep the initial update download size small. But, that never happened. I tried turning on all the high quality voices in the Settings menu (such as the trick under VoiceOver Dialects and Languages) but even with the high quality voices option turned on, Siri still sounds poor.

I've tried everything but a software restore. And a software restore is the absolute last thing I want to do. Can anyone give me any suggestions?

2. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I had this recently when I restored my iPhone. Are you sure the enhanced voice downloaded properly? Mine would keep getting stuck.

Finally I got it to work by doing a hard reset (hold home and power) and then, while plugged in and on WiFi, navigating and turning enhanced voice off then on. It then took a few hours for Siri to finally gain the new voice.

Otherwise, the only other thing I can suggest is a restore :( It doesn't take too long - from backing it up to having a working phone for me was about an hour, but it is a bit of an inconvenience.

3. LOLZpersonok thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

I'm trying that right now. Is it normal for the progress bar to not show up? I've found that when I restart my phone and press the switch for the high quality voices, the switch goes to the on position for a short second then turns off for a couple seconds, then a progress bar appears and the switch goes back to on. It "downloads", but nothing ever really happens.

I tried downloading the high quality voices for British English, and switching my Siri voice to the British English, and I had the high quality voices for that dialect. But no matter what I've tried for the US and Canadian English, it doesn't give me the high quality voice.

But, I'm trying your suggestion to see if that will have any effect.

4. LOLZpersonok thread starter macrumors 6502a

LOLZpersonok

Okay, so I've had this thing going on for three and a half hours. It still says "Preparing to download". I have had Wi-Fi turned on and my phone plugged into my computer for this entire time. I haven't tried Siri yet.

I have now just tried Siri and it seems that the high quality voice is back, finally. Thanks for your suggestion, it seems to have worked. ;)

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Glad you got it sorted!