Siri vs Google Now

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Flux.Capacitor, Sep 14, 2012.

1. Flux.Capacitor macrumors member

OK, I saw all the early videos of Google Now vs Siri and how it "put Siri to shame". Now, I understand it's faster than Siri doing Google searches, but that should be a given being that it's, well, a Google product. Several of my "Android" co-workers have Jellybean and none of them use Google Now, they say it's not all that great. So honestly, how is it better than Siri? I've never used it so this is an honest question. From what I understand you can't shuffle specific playlists, you can't set a true timer(not set an alarm XX number of minutes from now, i mean an actual timer). Can you just say things like "Add eggs and bacon to my shopping list", or launch apps? Turn Bluetooth on/off? I'm wondering if those early videos were really just posts paid for by Google.

2. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

I know loads of iPhone users who don't use siri.

3. Flux.Capacitor thread starter macrumors member

Oh so do I. Also have many friends who hate Siri. Probably didn't come across as I intended. Just meant that the points of reference that I have for GN don't offer me any insight into my curiosity.

4. JesalTV Guest

I don't have Siri but 90% of the time Search on Google by speaking to it (on Chrome).

I think I'm the kind of person that would use Siri a lot. I have a lovely voice.

5. charlieegan3 macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

While this is possible, it's highly unlikely - and without proof can't mean anything. There is a large amount of anti-google feeling on the forum so watch out for that.

I think the best thing to do is to wait for more comparisons to show up on youtube.

6. Stropaganda macrumors member

I have a Galaxy Nexus with Jellybean and I've been using it for getting directions, google searching, and calling/texting people. It is faster and more aesthetically pleasing than Siri. The results look better on screen and the voice is more natural sounding. I know this from me and my roommate testing it out on his 4S. He is a huge Apple fanboy so, of course, he didn't compliment Google Now at all. However, it is better in my opinion.

Google Now also has the pretty cool feature of trying to guess what information you want and give you it before you even ask. The most common is how long it will take to get to work or home from work as well as a link to launch Google Navigation. If you don't want to see it or if Google Now gets it wrong, just swipe the notification away.

However, I am still not convinced that this is the way people will interact with phones. It is cool and pretty impressive, but real life is rarely quiet enough to allow easy voice commands. I think that's the reason most people don't use Siri or Google Now. If there was a technology to learn your voice and filter out background noise and other people, then it would truly be a breakthrough. And not the fake Apple kind where everything is a breakthrough. I think it would change how people use phones. To be able to do everything by voice (launch, call, text, play, show, search, etc) without worrying about noise would be so huge. Until that point, I don't think Siri or Google Now is going to be anything more than a cute feature.

7. Flux.Capacitor thread starter macrumors member

I think the reason people probably don't use Siri or Google Now for that matter, is that they don't really know it's real world potential. And I'll admit, i'm a 100% Apple guy. But I've had my 4S since it came out, and not till about 5-6 months ago did I start using Siri regularly. Things I use it for:

The obvious "Text my wife I'm on my way home", "wake me up at 6am" etc. but I've got lists set up so I easily just say "Add milk to my shopping list", also "remind me to do XX when I get home". This and I've gotten to that lazy point where I dictate most of my texts.

Then theres the occasional "gimmicky" stuff that is just out of laziness or just because I can... "Shuffle my workout playlist", or "What does Marsellus Wallace look like?". I'm sure there are many things Google Now can do as well but few people know about.

8. Stropaganda macrumors member

Here is a webpage with a pretty good list of Google Now commands.

http://www.addictivetips.com/android/google-now-commands-smart-cards-list/

9. Bilalo macrumors 6502

An article i read gives google now an 80% performance in comparison to siri being 100% so siri is better.

10. hawk1410 macrumors 6502

I use google now on my tablet a whole lot more than i use Siri on my phone. Mostly cause I use google now to search, but google now has surprised me quite a few times. It just feels much less gimmicky than Siri, and is much faster too.

11. SuperRob macrumors regular

Google Now can be more anticipatory. Siri requires you to ask something of her (it?) and Google Now doesn't require that. That's where it gets really interesting. Google Now is a very compelling feature. The only time I use Siri is in the car with my Bluetooth headset. Siri seems to be very popular with novices, though. Google Now is much closer to being a virtual agent or assistant than Siri is at this point.

12. Stropaganda macrumors member

I can't see how this is even possible. Every tech website article and Siri vs. Google Now video I've seen shows Google winning pretty handily. If you get a link, go ahead and post it.

13. Flux.Capacitor thread starter macrumors member

See this is something I didn't get from the earlier comparisons. That's pretty cool.

I wouldn't say Siri is very popular with Novices, more accurately i think it's used more for Entertainment purposes now. Probably as I mentioned, because people don't know WHAT to use it for.

14. kenypowa macrumors 6502a

Google Now is way better. Whenever I do a google map search for a place/restaurant/store on a computer, google now would initiate my phone telling me how long it takes to get there, as well as driving directions/navigation.

15. dacreativeguy macrumors 68020

I have a Nexus 7 and ipad/iphone. I like how Google puts a 'front page' on the device where you can customize with widgets or use Google Now. It makes a more integrated experience and helps you flow from app to app. In comparison, iOS feels like a collection of unrelated apps.

I've found that the Google Now voice command is much more limited than Siri. I can almost have a conversation with Siri, while Google Now is expecting me to say specific commands, or it doesn't understand.

I like them both. It would be nice if iOS could adopt a customizable front page like Android. Or at the very least allow a 'home app' to be designated and then the 3rd party devs can come up with cool launchers.