Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

standingoten

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2013
I like Google Now's responsiveness and how fast it is.
Siri is better in my opinion because it works with the entire OS. Google Now will get you data but does it doesn't do much beyond that.

S-Voice is a disaster. It is very evident to everyone that it was a copy of Siri that was rushed to market to try and compete.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
IMO....there's a difference.

Google is scrubbing e-mail, web history, location data (not to mention building a full fledged online profile on you) and using that to target ads.

Apple is using iTunes Store activity for the targeting, anonymizing it, and giving you the option in the Settings to opt out.

Like I said earlier....to each his own. Some (read: many) people are fine with what Google is doing and seem to think the price you pay for their services is not too steep. I just happen to not be one of those people. Doesn't make either of us "right" or "wrong"....just means we solve the value calculus of this a little different.

Any demographic information provided to anyone by Google is anonymized.

----------

Google now pushes information to me so that I don't have to search for it. IMO, its way better than Siri. I get flight cards automatically, and notifications when my flights change. Same for hotels, along with links back to the original emails for everything. Same for restaurants, along with a map and what time I need to leave the house. I get traffic notifications which come in handy around the DC area. Just b/c of google now, I could never go back to apple.

That's exactly how I feel about it. Google Now constantly pushes pertinent information to me. It keeps me apprised of tracking info on packages I'm expecting, it suggests places when I'm out, it gives me heads up of traffic on the way to work, let's me know when to leave for appointments (and if there's traffic on the route), and let's me know when my teams are playing. Of course it does these things, with no input from me at all. I haven't had to put a single piece of data in Google Now at all.

knucklehead

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2003
That's exactly how I feel about it. Google Now constantly pushes pertinent information to me. It keeps me apprised of tracking info on packages I'm expecting, it suggests places when I'm out, it gives me heads up of traffic on the way to work, let's me know when to leave for appointments (and if there's traffic on the route), and let's me know when my teams are playing. Of course it does these things, with no input from me at all. I haven't had to put a single piece of data in Google Now at all.

How iFeel about it:
uesc_04_img0230_zps6584b0ff.jpg
[/IMG]

... even if it worked as advertised ...

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
and to think I almost thought you wouldn't get it ... :p

Surely you jest... But really, care to give some reasons? ..and for the record, I actually don't disagree with you. I think the concept is still somewhat in its infancy. However, even with that being the case, in it's current state it is still quite functional.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
The main thing I use Siri for is texting. Since Google uses offline dictation so I find it WAY better.

Nothing more annoying then waiting for Siri to figure out what I said then failing.

I do prefer the way Siri works with blue tooth though.

macnewbbie

macrumors regular
Nov 5, 2006
I have some questions about google now and how it works. Today using a w8 phone with my car bluetooth while driving i got some texts that the phone automatically asked me if i wanted the phone to read it, which it did farly well to be honest and i was very surprised and thought it was super cool(i get easily impressed lol to be fair, none of my previous phones had a feature like this) and i have some questions about how something like this would work on an android phone.

• Can google now read the texts like that?
  • Do i have the option to speak what i want to reply?
  • Also, does it work well with bluetooth?
  • Is there any website where i can check in what languages google now is available?

Im also a bit confused if google now is just the cards with the personalized information or if its that and the voice recognition/commands feature.
Siri is seems like a very useful feature and so a point in favor for the iphone, but if an android phone can do the same, better.

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010

tekno

macrumors 6502a
Oct 15, 2011
Me and my brother just had a Siri vs Google Now fight. We decided Siri won (much to my chagrin!).

Sending a text:
Google often didn't work, if there's multiple possible contacts you have to tap the right one, and you have to tap "send". Siri, apart from the first tap, is totally hands-free.

Literally couldn't call a contact. Asking "Call Jeff" resulted in Cool Jeff, Cola Jeff and, when Google worked it out, it again needed a tap to actually make the call. Siri worked each time and being able to say "Call my brother" is really cool.

Although we also agreed that Siri's over-humanisation got very annoying.

kevinof

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
Dublin/London
That's not what Google now is about. Yes it includes the original "voice actions" but I think Google is going after a completely different market with Now. Its about pushing information to you based on your life and habits BEFORE you go looking for it. This is something completely different from Siri.

Me and my brother just had a Siri vs Google Now fight. We decided Siri won (much to my chagrin!).

Sending a text:
Google often didn't work, if there's multiple possible contacts you have to tap the right one, and you have to tap "send". Siri, apart from the first tap, is totally hands-free.

Literally couldn't call a contact. Asking "Call Jeff" resulted in Cool Jeff, Cola Jeff and, when Google worked it out, it again needed a tap to actually make the call. Siri worked each time and being able to say "Call my brother" is really cool.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012

Sending a text:

Google Now is probably not the best application to do those sort of things. I would recommend the Assistant app. I would be interested to know how Assistant stacks up against Siri.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
Google Now is probably not the best application to do those sort of things. I would recommend the Assistant app. I would be interested to know how Assistant stacks up against Siri.

I totally disagree. I use Now everyday to make calls and send texts. It works just fine.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
I totally disagree. I use Now everyday to make calls and send texts. It works just fine.

The problem I have with it is that if a contact has more than one number, in GN, I have to manually select the number. Using Assistant, it dials the main number of the contact straight away. And you can assign nicknames to your contacts in Assistant. So, "Call my brother" would work with Assistant.

The iGentleman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2012
The problem I have with it is that if a contact has more than one number, in GN, I have to manually select the number. Using Assistant, it dials the main number of the contact straight away. And you can assign nicknames to your contacts in Assistant. So, "Call my brother" would work with Assistant.

Mine dials the number I have set as the default. If you have not set a number as a default, then you run into that. The whole having nicknames is no different than the old voice controls from the Windows Mobile days where you could assign a voice tag to any contact. That really isn't anything special at all in my opinion.

viskon

macrumors 6502
Oct 20, 2012
Mine dials the number I have set as the default. If you have not set a number as a default, then you run into that.
Long pressing the phone number in contacts brings up the option to set that number as default. Hadn't seen that one before. Thanks for the tip.

NewAnger

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2012
Denver Colorado
I have Google now disabled to save my battery life and I can still press on the microphone to find out the weather or call someone or open apps. I don't think using the microphone feature is the same as Google now.

Google now is the thing you get when you swipe up from the bottom of your screen.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.