Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
I didn't expect it, but I love the Siri watch face. It's actually sort of smart. It shows relevant cards for that specific time of day and it basically always shows 5 complications at the same time:

1. Time
  2. Custom one above the time (I have Battery there)
  3. Custom one next to the time (I have the Activity rings there)
  4. Siri card one
  5. Siri card two

It's also the only watch face that can show two different calendar events at the same time if they happen closely after each other. It constantly changes, showing appointments, the time the sun will set or rise, stocks, activity motivators, reminders, boarding passes, etc and it's always relevant.

Nice example, yesterday I was at the office and it showed my upcoming two meetings. When the last meeting was finalising it still showed it, but the next card was my boarding pass for my upcoming flight. On the airport the first card was my boarding pass and my second card a reminder. After the reminder it showed the sunset time and stocks card and back home it told me to move a bit more. It really works well.

However, the one thing missing is weather! When I scroll the crown up, I see the weather with a label above saying All-Day. When I scroll all the way down I see the weather of tomorrow, but weather never shows as a card on the idle screen like this:

pdeh8rbjcl1flzqeweyb.jpg

It doesn't have to show all the time obviously, but it would be nice to at least get this card a couple of times per day or at least when there are no other cards available for the day.

Has any of you seen this card on your home screen like above? I have a Series 0 and live in The Netherlands (maybe that matters :))

Reactions: profets

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
Mine is showing obviously.

(I think it will show when you need to be reminded of weather, like raining)

29Ot2GW.jpg

Reactions: Cascades42

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
Nice example! This is exactly what's missing for me. Maybe it does show up sometime and I just miss it or something, but I've checked it quite regularly and I have never seen it.

So what happens if you scroll up? Do you also see a card with All-Day and then the weather underneath?

1a5ee60f77b3df5f5a52942c19b11937.png

And the card for tomorrow when you scroll all the way down?

fa8cc0e301596f0086e5df3e54e2f9a2.png

Also, I don't see that location icon next to it, while location is most definitely turned on for everything weather related. Maybe you are right and it's only showing when there is something important weather related to show.

Ryanmrash

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
I only have crap like this. Unimpressed. My old modular face gave me better info.

Attachments

• 760F9E99-FE4D-4113-B746-673EC1276853.png
    760F9E99-FE4D-4113-B746-673EC1276853.png
    70.5 KB · Views: 148
Reactions: Bswails and edhchoe

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
I've seen today's weather as the first card first thing in the morning, but only when I haven't had a reminder or appointment early in the day. Yesterday it was showing me a Local Weather card showing rain starting at 1600, from about 1300.

deuxani

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 2, 2010
I only have crap like this. Unimpressed. My old modular face gave me better info.

Wow, that's pretty useless :) But that either means you have everything turned off for Siri, for the Siri watch face or just really don't have any appointments, reminders, workout, etc planned for today, right? During the day I always have at least 4 or 5 cards, but mostly approaching 10.

I've seen today's weather as the first card first thing in the morning, but only when I haven't had a reminder or appointment early in the day. Yesterday it was showing me a Local Weather card showing rain starting at 1600, from about 1300.

Was this a weather card or a weather alert with a time showing? It could be that it doesn't think that the weather card is relevant enough when the weather is very neutral or something.

Yes, it shows just like those 2 pictures.

I only now notice that your card is not exactly what I was looking for. It's showing your location (is this Lumphini, Bangkok by chance? I stayed at the SO Sofitel in that area 2,5 years ago and fell in love with the city during my time there), a weather icon but then the time next to it. It looks like a weather warning of some sorts, because it's not showing the temperature.

When you see the example in the Watch app on the iPhone it shows like this:

e87c9266e8bed2ba58f704335abddfa4.png

But that's different from this:

pdeh8rbjcl1flzqeweyb.jpg

I haven't seen either on my Watch on the idle screen :D

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
The last picture, I see it on Tomorrow. Maybe it will be the first card I see when I wake up.

VvbHjF9.jpg

Yes, it's Lumpini BKK. I lived in Four Season for a while. :O

dallardice

macrumors regular
Jan 29, 2008
Was this a weather card or a weather alert with a time showing? It could be that it doesn't think that the weather card is relevant enough when the weather is very neutral or something.

I've seen both - the weather card (as in the San Jose example in post 8) at the start of the day (and at the end of the day showing tomorrow), and an alert type of card, like the Brighton example, showing a raincloud with the time of 1600. I assumed that was a Dark Sky-type alert, so not sure about the Brighton alert of sunshine...

I suppose the weather card could be missing due to neutral weather, but I haven't had watchOS4 for long enough to spot any pattern.

HeathH

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2010
Honolulu, HI
I'm with deuxani on this. I am very surprised how much I am getting out of the siri watch face, have to tip my hat to Apple on that one (and I am on Series 0).

I had the same issue with weather. I realized I had uninstalled the Apple weather app from the iphone in favor of Dark Sky app. I had to re-install the default Apple weather app, make sure location was set to always, and then make sure the settings for the Siri watch face on the watch were set to pull info from weather app. I also had to force restart both devices before working normal.

Attachments

• Temp.png
    Temp.png
    123 KB · Views: 2,571

RMSko

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
What's strange for me is that instead of weather, it says the time of the sunset. If I tap it, it gives me the weather, but I don't need the sunset showing all day long and would rather it show the temperature. Is there a way to change this?

Fantasigraphic

macrumors 65816
Mar 25, 2009
TN
It does. On mine it shows weather first thing in morning, then when chance of rain/thunderstorms later in day. Here’s one I posted while back.

9FEA34E5-3950-4A1C-8CAB-2196310E4FD1.png

[doublepost=1506195440][/doublepost]
Has anyone tried setting a timer? That’s supposed to come up but never does
It does! Can’t remember how I did it but did show on my watch. Trying to replicate it and do a screenshot lol

***** UPDATE *****

Got it working!

BCC7C73C-105E-4D10-80C1-0098EA8FCD96.png

[doublepost=1506195485][/doublepost]
What's strange for me is that instead of weather, it says the time of the sunset. If I tap it, it gives me the weather, but I don't need the sunset showing all day long and would rather it show the temperature. Is there a way to change this?
In early beta it had option to turn off but has since been removed

Last edited:

RMSko

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
It does. On mine it shows weather first thing in morning, then when chance of rain/thunderstorms later in day. Here’s one I posted while back.

View attachment 720518
It does! Can’t remember how I did it but did show on my watch. Trying to replicate it and do a screenshot lol

***** UPDATE *****

Got it working!

View attachment 720521

It just makes no sense why it shows sunset all day long. I'm hoping this ultimately gets fixed. If anyone knows any way to get this to show the temperature instead, let me know. I just can't understand the thinking here.

Reactions: Fantasigraphic

Ryanmrash

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
Here’s what I have for 4pm. Guess I have things a little too tight for Siri. I’ve never seen a sunrise/sunset card. Don’t even see options for that anywhere

Attachments

• 7833ECB3-0AEC-451D-8AA8-6F56F329B8A2.png
    7833ECB3-0AEC-451D-8AA8-6F56F329B8A2.png
    70.9 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:

RMSko

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
The sunrise/sunset card is part of the weather "data source", it's not a separate one. So, if you select the weather as one of the "data sources," it may show the sunset time instead of the temperature. That's what it does for me - it only shows the sunset time and never shows the temperature. I have no idea why for some people it shows some things and others it shows other things. I have all the data sources selected except for photos, stopwatch, timer and wallet so I would think it would rotate through some of the other data sources, but it doesn't. For me, starting at 6 am and then all day it just showed the sunset time and my next calendar event (even though today my only calendar event isn't until 10 pm). Maybe that's because it's the weekend. I'll see how it works tomorrow at work. Hopefully this will improve over time, but right now I'm not impressed.

Ryanmrash

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016
I did a re-pair last night to see if thing improved. Did nothing, really. So I just did an “erase all settings” on the iPhone. Immediately the watch changed and more “stuff” showed up on the Siri face. I had things pretty locked down for battery savings and privacy. Going to redo some settings when the need pops up but it’s like a fresh phone/Watch.

RMSko

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
I did a re-pair last night to see if thing improved. Did nothing, really. So I just did an “erase all settings” on the iPhone. Immediately the watch changed and more “stuff” showed up on the Siri face. I had things pretty locked down for battery savings and privacy. Going to redo some settings when the need pops up but it’s like a fresh phone/Watch.
When I paired the watch to my phone, I did it as a new watch and did not install from my prior watch's backup. Given that was only two days ago, I'm not sure that a new install would do much.

NavySEAL6

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2006

View attachment 720518

***** UPDATE *****

Got it working!

View attachment 720521

How did you get the timer to work?

Ryanmrash

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2016

I gave it a go. I really tried to like the Siri face. But the settings needed to make the face useful absolutely burn down battery life, plus you only get 2 complications. The Siri face isn’t for me, modular is more pleasing.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.