Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HeathH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Honolulu, HI
I have been having an odd issue with my new S3 SSSB with siri. Every time I ask it the current weather I get a reboot. I don't have LTE activated and am with my phone (7 Plus). Tried hard resets on both watch and phone, unpairing and re-pairing the watch. Location services are fine on the phone. I can ask about the weather tomorrow, but anything about today = reboot.

Odd, anyone else have an issue like this?

G35flyer

macrumors regular
May 19, 2012
I have been having an odd issue with my new S3 SSSB with siri. Every time I ask it the current weather I get a reboot. I don't have LTE activated and am with my phone (7 Plus). Tried hard resets on both watch and phone, unpairing and re-pairing the watch. Location services are fine on the phone. I can ask about the weather tomorrow, but anything about today = reboot.

Wow... definitely a bug mine does it also. Just asked if there will be rain today....reboot.

Lumpydog

macrumors 6502
Aug 3, 2007
Yep noticed this morning. Same exact issue. In another forum, the user attributed it to a DLS related issue.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
S3 edition
It said please wait I will tap you when I am ready, followed by Pretty Good then reboot

Pascal325

Suspended
Oct 24, 2017

Holy moly. Mine did it too. Nike Cellular AT&T Space Grey.

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
It is not rebooting, it is spring-boarding. The App (Siri or Weather?) is crashing but not the entire watchOS. Just time how long it takes for a reboot vs. spring-boarding. Spring-boarding takes way less time than an entire reboot.

However, this bug appeared today because yesterday everything was working fine when I asked Siri "What is the forecast for today" or "What is the temperature right now."

I am sure Apple will fix this pretty quick!

I have an Apple Watch Series 3 + LTE/GPS. Very odd bug, cannot wait to see what Apple has to say about this.

:apple:

twisted-pixel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2009
San Jose, CA
It is not rebooting, it is spring-boarding. The App (Siri or Weather?) is crashing but not the entire watchOS. Just time how long it takes for a reboot vs. spring-boarding. Spring-boarding takes way less time than an entire reboot.

Semantics.

the type of reboot is irrelevant for the purposes of people seeing it

SRLMJ23

macrumors 68020
Jul 11, 2008
Central New York
Semantics.

I understand what you are saying, but technically it is not rebooting the watch, thank God, because that would take a lot longer. Siri or Weather is spring-boarding, but it is just weird you can ask for tomorrows weather and it works fine. Like I said before, I think Apple will get this fixed relatively quickly as it is probably something on their side.

HeathH

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2010
Honolulu, HI
Oddly glad so many others are seeing it. I had just finished mucking around with location settings. Figured I screwed something up.

Was just getting ready to go through the restore as new phone process and rebuild everything. Pain in the but avoided.

steve217

macrumors 6502a
Nov 11, 2011
NC
Crashed my 42mm series one but not my wife’s 38mm series one.

Both are on watchOS 4.1.

Last edited:

sd13

macrumors regular
Jun 16, 2009
I had the same exact issue when asking the weather. I got rid of it by doing a factory reset. Even when restoring from backup it was still there. Only resetting and setting up as new fixed this issue.

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
Seems like it was a daylight saving bug. Tried it yesterday and got a softboot, tried it today and all's good.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Semantics.

A reboot takes 3 to 5 times longer than a respring. Also a respring doesn't lock the :apple:Watch and on a reboot (which takes WAY longer) if you forget to unlock you could lose some fitness tracking info.;)
[doublepost=1509881770][/doublepost]
Seems like it was a daylight saving bug. Tried it yesterday and got a softboot, tried it today and all's good.
Mine is working too. Maybe it is 'fixed' by the time change.

Last edited:

TiggrToo

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2017
A reboot takes 3 to 5 times longer than a respring. Also a respring doesn't lock the :apple:Watch and on a reboot (which takes WAY longer) if you forget to unlock you could lose some fitness tracking info.;)
[doublepost=1509881770][/doublepost]
Mine is working too. Maybe it is 'fixed' by the time change.

My guess is some fool didn't take into account the chance you can have duplicate hours when bringing back weather for the next 24 (thus leading to, say two 1AMs) and, given how tightly ingrained Siri is to the OS, resulted in the softboot.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.