Siri ~ Why won't it search Youtube, Netflix, etc?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by MacVault, Jan 25, 2016.

1. MacVault macrumors 65816

Can anyone tell me why Siri on Apple TV 4 seems to return only paid-for content, ie. from the iTunes store when I'm really looking for content from, and activating Siri from within, the youtube app, netflix app, etc.

2. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

SIRI does not work with Youtube. Only Netflix, Hulu, HBO, Showtime and iTunes.

If you want Netflix then add that to you query.

Find search..... in Netflix

3. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

4. benjitek macrumors 6502a

benjitek

Apple has provided developers with the tools they need to be part of the ATV4's media search, more will be added as happened recently with PBS. Should YouTube decide to provide Siri search functionality, it would be up to them, not Apple, to implement it.

5. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

I think they choose to work with those initially. Not sure they will directly work with Google.

They do plan to offer a SIRI Search API for third parties. When (not sure when) that happens then it would be up to Youtube to add the content. I am hoping for a SIRI interface to enter any text (voice to text) on an App Search Page.

6. ajforbes20 macrumors regular

ajforbes20

Yeah, I would say the Siri Search has been pretty weak so far! I've had mine for 3 months now and pretty much never use it.

7. tanfan macrumors regular

There are movies and stuff in youtube that you may access and cost itunes a purchase or rental.

8. MacVault thread starter macrumors 65816

Siri search might not be great, but trying to type on the Apple TV is horendous! I think the old ATV was even easier to type on - at least it would give you recent searches to choose from!! wth!!

9. MacFanBoi macrumors regular

You could always use the remote app on the iphone/ipad to type or a bluetooth keyboard if your running tvOS 9.2.

10. winstars macrumors member

Yes on the lack of recent searches. Having recent searches like the ATV3 would certainly help. If you do a search and then leave Youtube briefly and come back, its back to square one... At least this is my experience...

11. 2010mini macrumors 68040

Siri also searches PBS

12. d21mike macrumors 68040

d21mike

Forgot about that. Thanks.