Siri will display your information when locked

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Minninips, Nov 2, 2011.

1. Minninips macrumors newbie

My brother was messing with my new 4S and asked me how secure the phone was if I lost it. I explained how I could lock it and track it down should I lose the phone. Low and behold, Siri will display your information when locked with a passcode. Ask her "who am I" and who ever stole your phone has all of your information:eek:. I tried to see if there were any settings where I could change this but the only setting I could find was to disable Siri while locks.

If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You can change who you are to Siri. Its in the Siri settings.

3. daviddth macrumors 6502a

daviddth

I know this can be bad, but it can also be good. On Monday my wife found a 4S on the train while returning from Sydney. She took it and was planning on dropping it into the local police station, and notifying the train staff on the way. When I went to pick her up we tried a few queries with Siri and found the owners details in minutes, called the listed home number (actually asked Siri to "call home" lol) and an hour later met them to deliver the phone in person.

They offered $ in return, but we did not take it - I was just glad to return a phone to its rightfull owner. So in some instances Siri being partly unlocked can be good, but it can also be bad in the wrong hands

4. DeusInvictus7 macrumors 68020

If you have a passcode on your phone, you can turn off Siri access so that people can't use Siri at the lockscreen. Won't work if you don't have a passcode though.

5. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Typically Apple, like other tech companies, gets things right the second time around. Siri's too young to be of much use or reliability to all but those who are easily amused or like to show off. While Siri in it's current state has a degree of usefulness, I bet the next version will be vastly better.

A simple example is the phone aspect of the iP4. The antenna was so poorly designed it was dreadful. My iP4 could not be relied on when it came to making calls. Apple learned from their mistake, hired antenna engineers, and the iP4S I have is an excellent phone. It was encouraging that Apple could admit they really screwed up. Finally I have an Apple phone that places calls as clear as my SGS II, also on AT&T.

6. fizzwinkus macrumors 6502a

The antenna was so poorly designed, it got better reception than any other iPhone before it, in any location I tested. I wish I could design things so poorly, I'd be a millionaire.

7. Jason black macrumors regular

Not trying to sound mean, but of I find your iPhone 4s, I will not return it. It will be listed on eBay the next day. Then again, this is if I find it. I don't steal.

8. OafTobark macrumors 6502

OafTobark

uhh. really?
    wow.

9. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

Keeping it instead of trying to find the rightful owners or contacting the police IS stealing.

10. brand macrumors 601

brand

I believe that finding something in California and not attempting to return it is considered stealing. You might not live in California but where you live may have the same laws. Just because you find it doesn't mean that you are now the new owner of it.

11. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Not stealing hmm?

12. TheComposer macrumors member

I would keep it too, problem? :)

I don't go stealing from house to house, but if it happens, i'll take it.

13. spikefood macrumors regular

Basically what your saying is that if someone finds your iPhone you'd like them to keep it?

14. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

Ahh, there's nothing like teenagers with internet access to chip away at my waning faith in humanity.

15. Mackbook702 macrumors member

Maybe keep track of your phone? Hows that for adolescent advice? :p

I got the iPhone in 2007 when I was 16, four years and four models later I have yet to misplace it, true story:cool:

16. Deako macrumors 6502

Good to know. Thanks. I love the warm fluffy feeling we get from some of our society. Makes me feel like i can rely on future generations of humanity whenever things get bad.

Its so great that so many people have good moral standing in this day and age.

Sarcasm at its best?

Jason, just so you know. That IS stealing, and i hope you would get everything you deserve if you ever did this.

17. Jason black macrumors regular

First of you, if you lose your expensive phone, that means you don't deserve to have it in the first place. I'll make sure I have you get rid of it so you don't lose it again. I lost my palm treo 755p about 5 years ago. No one returned it and I didn't expect someone to because it was my fault that I stupidly left it on a counter at work and turned around to talk to a friend with everyone walking buy. Well, in that case, I didn't even lose it. Someone stole it and I bought a new one and kept it moving. And obviously, I bet you're thinking you'll be about to track the phone. Good luck tracing it to the library that doesn't require a lib card to use the computer, where I can download iTunes and restore your phone and give it an eBay sales id in about 30mins of finding it. Also, how is it my fault that someone decided to lose their phone?

18. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

Siri won't display anything on my lock screen...

Since I disabled Siri on the lock screen.;)

19. Jason black macrumors regular

Exactly.... That's what I did too.

20. locust76 macrumors 6502a

Apple never admitted anything. They tried to pass it off as a normal phenomenon, as if covering the entire antenna of a "leading smartphone" was the same as being able to kill the iPhone's signal by touching the dead spot with a single finger.

----------

The antenna dead spot was horrible, but the phone really did have good reception if you put it in a case or held it "properly."

21. gloomcookie1 macrumors regular

Ok, if you set a passcode lock there is a setting in the exact same screen that says Siri - Allow access to Siri when locked with a passcode. That means that you can allow Siri to be accessed or not when the phone is locked.

I don't understand the big deal. If the phones don't come locked, which just about all phones do not, you have to go to that screen and the Siri setting is right there.

22. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Turn off Siri access from the lock screen. Its not a bug, its a setting.

23. Minninips thread starter macrumors newbie

I don't have any intention on losing or misplacing my phone. I have yet to do either. He just wanted to point out that the phone is not as secure as I thought it was.

I don't want to block Siri while the phone is locked. I enjoy using Siri while driving and the phone is set to auto-lock after 5 minutes and I have a non-simple passcode.

24. wrkactjob macrumors 65816

wrkactjob

If I find you Jason I'll list you on Ebay as "spares or repair".