Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
I made a feature request to Apple about this.
When I do not have an internet connection, I still want Siri to take voice commands for things that do not require internet such as setting a timer or an alarm or opening an app.
When I am inside a building where cellular signal and wifi are not available or flying in an airplane, I still would like Siri to work in limited capacity. I always wondered why Siri requires internet connection to set an alarm on my device.
I would think it is a simple enough modification to make it work.
What do you think?

deadworlds

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
Citrus Heights,CA
I made a feature request to Apple about this.
When I do not have an internet connection, I still want Siri to take voice commands for things that do not require internet such as setting a timer or an alarm or opening an app.
When I am inside a building where cellular signal and wifi are not available or flying in an airplane, I still would like Siri to work in limited capacity. I always wondered why Siri requires internet connection to set an alarm on my device.
I would think it is a simple enough modification to make it work.
What do you think?

From my understanding, Siri needs an internet connection because it sends your request to apples servers, uses a neural network to interpret the request and then sends the outcome back to siri on your watch/iPhone/AppleTV etc.

edhchoe

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 28, 2011
I'm pretty sure right now even iPhone 8/X need internet for siri... and that thing is a beast. so I can't see this changing for Apple Watch before iPhone.

I would be happy if they made only timer and alarm, reminder, and calendar commands available offline for now.

reminder and calendar can sync with icloud as soon as the watch reconnects to internet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.