Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

perry245

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 13, 2007
Hi, Will Siri ever work in the uk?

I hate it that I can't ask for directions or tell me where the nearest place is.

Anyone have any ideas?

TheAppleSource

macrumors regular
Mar 9, 2012
United Kingdom
Currently Siri is technically still in beta, so Apple is likely going to add more features to Siri slowly throughout the world. For example, the latest iOS update (5.1) added Siri language support for those who can speak Japanese.

So unfortunately for now you just need to sit tight and wait.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted

Siri I'm lost.

Useless in uk.

You'd think with all that money it'd be sorted.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
As stated, it's still in BETA so I guess we will just have to wait. I use it on my 4S for texts, email etc. it would be nice to have the full functionality, but it takes time I guess.

Adding UK business and takeaway stuff, movies, etc. takes time.

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Wirelessly posted

How does it take time? Google shows it in a search. You just interpret that or use/pay a company that already does like yellow pages or something.

stevemiller

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
personally, i question the argument of "location stuff doesn't work because its in beta" as if the feature isn't functional yet. the hold up has to be licensing, and is likely related to their tense relationship with google and potential movement away from their mapping service.

much like at&t they had a contract in place in the US, apple probably has a similar agreement for google maps, but the terms for other regions might have been less stringent and now google is using whatever loopholes they can since their relationship has soured.

its unfortunate and ultimately pretty petty, since they must really be mincing words to deem siri searches out of scope, when you can open google maps and do a voice dictated search, and external apps like mail and notes can even parse address data from generic input, generating direct links to google maps.

bandofbrothers

macrumors 601
Oct 14, 2007
Uk
personally, i question the argument of "location stuff doesn't work because its in beta" as if the feature isn't functional yet. the hold up has to be licensing, and is likely related to their tense relationship with google and potential movement away from their mapping service.

much like at&t they had a contract in place in the US, apple probably has a similar agreement for google maps, but the terms for other regions might have been less stringent and now google is using whatever loopholes they can since their relationship has soured.

its unfortunate and ultimately pretty petty, since they must really be mincing words to deem siri searches out of scope, when you can open google maps and do a voice dictated search, and external apps like mail and notes can even parse address data from generic input, generating direct links to google maps.

yeah, but remember its still in beta..... :rolleyes:

lol

Kinda gets annoying doesn't it when thats the standard reply regarding Siri !

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.