Siri working when on 4G??

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Kev_raz87, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Kev_raz87 macrumors newbie

Kev_raz87

I'm on tmobile and Siri works perfectly when I'm on LTE and on a wifi, but I can't seem to use siri or just simply dictate/etc when I'm on 4g. Does that happen to anyone else?

2. Neo1975 macrumors regular

3. Kev_raz87 thread starter macrumors newbie

Kev_raz87

What carrier are you on?

4. Neo1975 macrumors regular

Vodafone UK

5. dilap macrumors 6502a

For clarification, UK 3G speeds = T Mobile 4G Speeds.

6. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

What exactly is "4G" supposed to be? Correct me if I am wrong but isn't it just a marketing term for LTE which is the fastest standard of the time as far as I know?

7. dilap, Aug 14, 2015
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2015

dilap macrumors 6502a

Depends where you are. In America LTE gets speeds of 90/mbs with good service and a recent phone. Here in the UK, we do not have LTE, we have 4G. 4G is like LTE, but the maximum speed you will get is around 20/mbs. We do not have anything that fast. In America, I believe you have 4G HSPA+, which is like 3G here, averaging speeds of about 6/mbs with good service. To clarify:

UK 3G = 4G HSPA+/4G
    UK 4G = No current speed in U.S.
    U.S. LTE = No current speed in UK

EDIT:

It seems this information is incorrect. However, it seems to be correct for 02 UK.

8. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I get 50 Mbps on Three when I'm in our town centre, and I know when 4G first came out my mother was getting upwards of 60 Mbps on EE. I thought LTE was nothing more than a marketing term for 4G.

9. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

So, I am not wrong when I say it's a marketing term because it's not a fixed rate.

In Germany we have LTE with speeds up to 150 MBit/s. Which I barely reach. It's more like a lab condition rate.

10. dilap macrumors 6502a

Really? Wow. I didn't realise. I was basing what I said from 02 4G.

11. dilap macrumors 6502a

Are you in London?

12. dilap macrumors 6502a

In America, at least according to AT&T, there is 4G HSPA+ and 4G LTE.

http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB115949&cv=820&_requestid=1076395:

13. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Berkshire, though by town centre I really mean 'village' centre (for a lack of a better term - it isn't really a village, but nor is it a major town). I think the reason is it's right next to a mast.

When I was on giffgaff's 4G briefly (same as O2 I believe), I never got more than 10 Mbps so it's a massive improvement.

14. dilap macrumors 6502a

Sorry
    Aha, I am on giffgaff currently which explains a lot. Thank you, do you mind saying what switched you to Three, and what tariff you use? Considering leaving, especially with those speeds. Sorry for being so nosey.

15. Rok73 macrumors 65816

Rok73

Well, LTE is the technical standard (long term evolution). 4G is clearly the marketing term because as we see it can have completely different meanings in different countries. It somewhat hides the technics behind it.

There is no such thing as 4G in marketing in Germany. It's marketed as LTE ("super speed", "high speed" e.g.).

16. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

No problem! What switched me to Three was giffgaff's 4G goodybags: they just didn't offer very good value for money, and coupled with the price increases I thought it was time to move on.

I am currently on the PAYG Three All-in-One15 tariff which gives unlimited 4G data, 3000 texts and 300 mins for £15 a month, though unfortunately this is increasing to £20 in a few days (19th August). I'm going to stick with it though as I can't find anything cheaper.

To give you an idea of speed, here is the latest Speedtest I can find on 4G. It was a few months ago, but speeds are the same if not better now. Coverage also seems to be fine.

Attached Files:

17. dilap macrumors 6502a

Wow! Thats faster than my WiFi! Also, how do you renew them? Sorry for all the questions! Yes I agree with you about giffgaffs 4G Goodybags. I had the £15 one for a month and it wasn't that fast. They are changing them to make them default and are getting rid of the 3G options. Would it be worth getting one on a 12 month contract?

18. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

You just top-up £15 (well, £20...) and then buy the add-on. It's essentially the same as goodybags. They can be queued as well, but I'm not sure how as I've never done it.

I personally don't like 12 month contracts as I prefer the flexibility one month ones offer, but if you don't mind then I don't see why not.

The 60 Mbps there is more of a best-case scenario, but I often get 20-30 Mbps in most places. I visit Soho quite often in London and it's pretty good there, though can slow down at peak times.

19. dilap macrumors 6502a

Thank you very much. I think you've convinced me! Although I did like the flexibility, I never used it!

20. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

You could always buy a standard PAYG SIM and top up a little bit to try out the coverage/speeds before committing to a year. Though from my personal experience, there's no comparison between giffgaff's 4G and Three's!

21. dilap macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Would you say there is any negatives that you have had that was not a problem at giffgaff.

22. dilap macrumors 6502a

Sorry for going off topic, @Kev_raz87 ! I suggest doing a full restart of both the phone and the watch, and also re-pair.

23. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Not really. I've heard customer service isn't the best but luckily I've never had to use it.