Siri would have been super cool,if it could be activated without pressing an button

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Psood21, Oct 5, 2011.

1. Psood21 macrumors member

Wishful thinking: It would have been super cool if Siri could be activated by just calling its name instead of long pressing the home button. Just like JARVIS from iron man movies :D.

Thoughts on if it would possible in future updates?

Don't flame, this is a wishful thinking thread.

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

I think that would be a horrible drain on the battery. The microphone would have to be on all the time to recognize "Siri..."

3. mrkjsn macrumors 6502

I don't see why this couldn't be possible in the future. I would assign more than Siri as the keyword though, otherwise anytime you mention Siri, your phone would activate. Maybe something like "Hello Siri".

I'm not much of a bluetooth guy but I do like how you can integrate the button to your head piece.

4. CooKieMoNs7eR macrumors 68000

CooKieMoNs7eR

5. Psood21 thread starter macrumors member

maybe if the microphone is tweaked to only intercept voice commands when it is at a certain distance from mouth(close proximity), maybe then the battery drain wont be that significant?

----------

I was thinking on the same lines bud.

----------

I think Siri is going to start a whole new tech revolution. There is just so many possibilities with this thing. I certainly believe the voice activation feature could come in future jailbreaks

6. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

Siri will most likely turn out to be one of those "Look Ma, isn't this cool" features that make a big splash with those who are easily impressed, then fade into the distance, as most people find it's a nuisance to use.

Apple's true expertise is to make things look far better than they are in real life.

They get the Apple faithful all revved up at these events, only to have the excitement fade as fast as a blown out tire on the freeway.

Siri reminds me of Face_Time or whatever it was called.

7. bearsalley34 macrumors member

It would be cool, but not sure if that would actually be possible.

8. Psood21 thread starter macrumors member

Maybe it will be a dud as you predict, or maybe it will be revolutionary who knows lets just wait and watch.

Btw i personally use face time everyday to talk to my family members in another country for free. For me it just works,you know why? because my less computer literate grand parents don't have to haggle with skype usernames or passwords, all they need to do is click the facetime button to connect to me. ;)

9. Globetrotter macrumors regular

Globetrotter

at the very least, you should be able to put it into 'siri-mode', i.e. waiting for instructions

10. aohus macrumors 68000

i agree with OP.

Apple could have upped the ante in comparison with Google's voice action support by not having to press a button.

But this is Apple here, we expect high quality innovation.

11. guch20 macrumors 6502

guch20

I heard a rumor that at the press conference, the Siri app displayed a message onscreen that said something along the lines of "You do not have to press the button to activate me. If the home screen is displayed..." something something something. Supposedly, Forstall exited the program before it completely displayed.

Has anyone else heard/seen this?

----------

I know on the Galaxy S2 you don't have to hit a button. You can just say "Hey Galaxy" followed by very specific commands. Google's program is pretty strict on what you can say that it'll understand though, which has me excited to see what Siri can do.

12. PhoneI macrumors 65816

So the iPhone would need to be always listening and processing what it hears for the word "Siri". Your battery would last 11 minutes

13. steph280 macrumors member

The biggest complaint about Android's voice command system is that it gets activated accidentally very easily. There is a reason why Apple did what they did.

14. 73CortinaV8 macrumors 6502

So someone could walk into a crowded room full of iphone users and shout:

"Hey Siri, forward all bewb pics to me@gmail.com!"

"Hey Siri, delete all contacts!"

"Hey Siri, ..." you get the idea.

I'm sure Apple experimented with this and found it not to be viable for some reason or another.

15. Daveoc64, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011

Daveoc64 macrumors 601

It's not just a matter of battery consumption.

Having "open microphone" (where the microphone is always listening) is very difficult when you're doing voice recognition.

Probably the best example of an "open microphone" system in a consumer product is the voice recognition in Microsoft's Kinect for Xbox 360.

It uses a few tricks to maximise how often it is correct:

Users are strongly encouraged to calibrate the system. The console collects a lot of data about the room (by "echoing" sound off the walls, furniture etc.) as well as by listening to the user talk. Sometimes the user might be talking to the console when the room is silent, but they might also be talking to the console during a loud movie or game. The user could be located in multiple parts of the room (different chairs, standing up, moving around etc.) All of these complex scenarios have to be considered.

This is very different to the way voice recognition on a mobile phone works. You can't do the same calibration for every environment, but it avoids some of the above questions by simplifying things:

-Relatively fixed position (you hold the phone and either talk into it using a headset or you speak at no more than arms length)
    -Relatively quiet environment (you wouldn't really make a phone call in a loud environment, so you probably wouldn't try and use voice recognition either)

Limited Command vocabulary:

At any one time, Kinect will only be listening for the user to say a few specific words. Anything else and it will simply ignore the user. The more things you want the system to do, the more likely it becomes that it will "overhear" something and perform an action when it shouldn't have done.

Phones get around this by using a button, so that it's only listening when you want it to. Siri supports a lot of different commands and the syntax and is very powerful. The amount of things that it can do mean that it would be far more likely to "overhear" something if it was listening all of the time.

16. Psood21 thread starter macrumors member

Siri is not human,it is still AI and it has to be enabled to have delete privileges also, it confirms what you want it to do.

Other than that how many times are people actually going to include 'Siri in there normal conversation? Siri is not a common word,at least not yet :p .

Idk, it is just wishful thinking which seems achievable from a technological stand point.

17. rayward macrumors 68000

I just want to know when I can swap out the standard voice for Hal or the Hitchhiker's Guide.