• Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
It's great to see Siri actually answers me now if I say "I'm Hungry" but I'm wondering how Siri gets its results from Yelp? At present it only shows 4 restaurants when I say I'm hungry so what I did was add 3 new premises that are very close to where I live. After an hour or so they'd show up in Yelp but they don't show up when I test Siri again. So how doe they get the info?

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
It probably uses the same database that Maps uses. You can't search everything that's on Yelp via Maps, only Apple approved places it looks like.

Comment

paulcdb

macrumors regular
Jan 24, 2009
its still in beta, no point wondering about anything until apple officially release the os.

Comment

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
It's great to see Siri actually answers me now if I say "I'm Hungry" but I'm wondering how Siri gets its results from Yelp? At present it only shows 4 restaurants when I say I'm hungry so what I did was add 3 new premises that are very close to where I live. After an hour or so they'd show up in Yelp but they don't show up when I test Siri again. So how doe they get the info?

I don't think Apple gets Yelp data realtime, so depending on their arrangement with Yelp the updates might be synced once a day, once a week, once a month. I'm not sure, but your test shows it's not realtime.

I would check it tomorrow, and then maybe once a week, just to find out when it syncs.

Comment

Futhark

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 12, 2011
Northern Ireland
I don't think Apple gets Yelp data realtime, so depending on their arrangement with Yelp the updates might be synced once a day, once a week, once a month. I'm not sure, but your test shows it's not realtime.

I would check it tomorrow, and then maybe once a week, just to find out when it syncs.

Yeah I'm checking once a day at the minute. This might be just temporary data to work with the Beta software so we may have to wait

Comment

mrapplegate

macrumors 68030
Feb 26, 2011
Cincinnati, OH
Yeah I'm checking once a day at the minute. This might be just temporary data to work with the Beta software so we may have to wait

It's an interesting topic. I'm curious as well to see how quick it gets added. There is always a chance since it is a beta we will have to wait for the release to get a real sense on how quick the changes take place.

Comment

8a22a

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2012
Yorkshire, UK
Apple doesn't appear to be using Yelp's location data either.

In the image example Yelp's location is correct. Apple's isn't.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340825441.384150.jpg

Comment

Morrus

macrumors member
Jun 29, 2012
There's stuff that's been on Yelp for years which isn't being reported in Siri results.

Near me, for example, Yelp lists about 40 petrol stations within 10 miles (and six within two miles). The closest one Siri can find is 23 miles away.

Same with post offices, restaurants, etc.

Clearly Siri isn't pulling from the full data set yet, because it's all there on Yelp and has been for a long, long time. Hopefully that's just a question of them throwing a switch before release.

Comment

ErikGrim

macrumors 603
Jun 20, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Yeah, it's definitely using some sort of limited dataset right now. Asked siri for Indian, she can't find any. Ask her about restaurants, there's about four in total. Checked Yelp just in case it is REALLY crappy here in Brisbane, but no. Most restaurants actually exist and seem to have reviews and details.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.