Siri & Yelp in the UK

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by Futhark, Jun 27, 2012.

1. Futhark macrumors 65816

Futhark

It's great to see Siri actually answers me now if I say "I'm Hungry" but I'm wondering how Siri gets its results from Yelp? At present it only shows 4 restaurants when I say I'm hungry so what I did was add 3 new premises that are very close to where I live. After an hour or so they'd show up in Yelp but they don't show up when I test Siri again. So how doe they get the info?

2. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

It probably uses the same database that Maps uses. You can't search everything that's on Yelp via Maps, only Apple approved places it looks like.

3. paulcdb macrumors regular

its still in beta, no point wondering about anything until apple officially release the os.

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

I don't think Apple gets Yelp data realtime, so depending on their arrangement with Yelp the updates might be synced once a day, once a week, once a month. I'm not sure, but your test shows it's not realtime.

I would check it tomorrow, and then maybe once a week, just to find out when it syncs.

5. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

Yeah I'm checking once a day at the minute. This might be just temporary data to work with the Beta software so we may have to wait

6. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

It's an interesting topic. I'm curious as well to see how quick it gets added. There is always a chance since it is a beta we will have to wait for the release to get a real sense on how quick the changes take place.

7. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

A place I searched for, but Maps couldn't find, has been on Yelp since Sept 2010.

8. Futhark thread starter macrumors 65816

Futhark

Yeah I've done searches like that too with the same result. I'm sure this will be resolved for launch day.

9. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

Apple doesn't appear to be using Yelp's location data either.

In the image example Yelp's location is correct. Apple's isn't.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1340825441.384150.jpg

10. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

I've added a few new places in my town so I'll see what happens with them.

11. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

It seems Yelp is moderated for most changes, so will take a long time to be updated.

12. Morrus macrumors member

There's stuff that's been on Yelp for years which isn't being reported in Siri results.

Near me, for example, Yelp lists about 40 petrol stations within 10 miles (and six within two miles). The closest one Siri can find is 23 miles away.

Same with post offices, restaurants, etc.

Clearly Siri isn't pulling from the full data set yet, because it's all there on Yelp and has been for a long, long time. Hopefully that's just a question of them throwing a switch before release.

13. 8a22a macrumors 6502a

8a22a

A few of my Yelp changes have been applied to Yelp now but haven't been propogated to Apple Maps yet.

14. ErikGrim macrumors 68030

ErikGrim

Yeah, it's definitely using some sort of limited dataset right now. Asked siri for Indian, she can't find any. Ask her about restaurants, there's about four in total. Checked Yelp just in case it is REALLY crappy here in Brisbane, but no. Most restaurants actually exist and seem to have reviews and details.