Siri

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by macteen94, Nov 9, 2011.

1. macteen94 macrumors newbie

Okay, this isn't a mainstream Apple question, and I definitely wouldn't mention it to them directly. I've heard rumors of the ability to port Siri to older devices. I have a CDMA iPhone 4, and I would love to get Siri on my phone. Just one thing... I'm not going to Jailbreak my phone. Any information? I managed to get Multitouch Gestures on my iPad without jailbreaking, but iOS 5.0.1 introduced those natively for the original iPad. I would love to try this with Siri without risking breaking my phone.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

You must jailbreak to get Siri, if its ever released for older iDevices. If you used the redsn0w "no jailbreak" hack, that is still a jailbreak. But a temporary one.

4. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

5. gentlefury macrumors 68030

good luck getting it to communicate with apple.

6. Mr.C macrumors 601

As already mentioned it's not going to happen.

7. macteen94 thread starter macrumors newbie

Since my original post I have managed to edit the IPSW and add data from the IPSW for the 4S concerning Siri. It cannot do complex actions, but it can open applications, dictate, and tell me the weather. It just runs a little slow. I am going to work on doing this same thing with the new 5.1 beta update released today to developers like myself.

8. BrunoWill macrumors member

9. heyloo macrumors 6502

Sounds like progress :) I couldn't wait for Siri to come to my iPhone 4, so I ended up selling my iPhone 4 and picking up a new 4S (well Siri wasn't exactly the 'only' reason obviously). Never looked back. 4S is pretty...well, awesome :) I'm satisfied. Not a HUGE difference, but enough to make me happy to have picked one up.

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Think About It

Why would Apple port Siri to the 4? Wouldn't do much for the sales figures of the 4S now would it?

11. heyloo macrumors 6502

^ This... Unfortunately there really isn't any reason why Apple would release Siri for other devices in the nearest future. Also if we assume that the recent Siri outages had something to do with the overload on their servers, even stronger reason why Apple wouldn't push Siri for other devices. :(

12. ericcanton macrumors newbie

good luck getting it to communicate with apple.

13. bgtrack macrumors regular

bgtrack

Several problems...

as mentioned a few times it won't communicate well with apple...

also having used an iPhone 4 and 4S I just don't see the 4 as having the processing power to handle Siri...it is even slow at times on a 4S

14. Ashwood11 macrumors 65816

"The 5.1 software includes enhanced dictation support during text input "on supported devices," something that has currently been limited to iPhone 4S, the only iOS device that supports Siri. Nothing in Apple's notes to developers suggests that Sir will be expanded to other devices, but the phrasing leaves open the possibility that at least the speech recognition portion of Siri's technology could be added to iPod touch, iPad and earlier iPhone models."

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/11/28/apple_seeds_ios_5_1_beta_to_developers.html