Siri

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by TommyFoley, Jun 25, 2015.

1. TommyFoley macrumors newbie

Hi guys

I am on my second Apple Watch and am a bit confused.

On my first watch Siri worked like a charm both on crown and "Hi Siri" - even though it was never enabled on my phone (disabled by company policy). Now on my second Apple Watch Siri doesn't react on anything.

Anyone got any ideas on how to solve this?

Regards

2. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

If Siri is turned off on your iPhone, it shouldn't work with with the paired Apple Watch. So you might not have a good solution, here.

Depending on how your employer enforces their policies, there might have been a 'window' where Siri was enabled on your phone (and watch) enabling you to use it before whatever software your employer uses to enforce its policies realised and enforced its policies again, thus turning the feature off.

Also, as an aside, do you have a non-work iPad with Siri enabled?

3. TommyFoley thread starter macrumors newbie

Im pretty sure that there was no "windows" in the security :)

I do in fact have a private ipad with Siri enabled, how does that help?

4. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

Ha! Some management products that companies use to enforce policies on mobile devices have windows of opportunity where you can change a setting on the device before the management product forces it back again to what your administrator specified. TBH - I'm clutching at straws, here! But something like this might explain how Siri could be active on your phone for a period of time.

As we know, Siri can't work on the Watch by itself. It needs an iPhone to do all the heavy lifting. So, if your iPhone definitely had this feature disabled, i wondered if somehow, some other iOS device with Siri enabled (such as your iPad) could have been doing the work instead of the iPhone. It shouldn't work that way since pairing Apple Watch with an iPad is not supported - but... who knows?! Maybe this is a bug which allows this to happen in some situations.

Yeah... I know, I know... I'm clutching at straws again :p

5. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

I've just been doing some testing with Siri and found out something interesting...

I turned off my iPhone, and found that Siri still worked flawlessly on my Apple Watch :eek:

So my earlier post was incorrect - it seems that the Watch doesn't actually need to have the phone connected (or even turned on) in order for Siri to work.

So try this - turn off your iPhone (or put it in airplane mode) then try Siri again on your watch. Does it work?