Siri's sofistication

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by diane143, Nov 17, 2011.

1. diane143 macrumors 6502a

I think I am expecting too much of Siri.

If I tell her to turn on "Joe's" alarm she can't but she will if I say "turn on Joe alarm".

Also, no way yet to have her add things to other apps? I use ToDo as a todo list but she doesn't understand opening or adding things to it. She does reminders just fine.

Is this something the developer would need to address?

<ps excuse the horrible misspelling, I knew that didn't look right!!!!>

2. sanford macrumors 65816

Natural language recognition is a beast. It's rather amazing Siri does as well as it does, not only understanding words but their context. The issue, perhaps, with "Joe's alarm:" Siri may be programmed to expect alarms to have names, like morning, noon, afternoon medicine, etc. But not a name for which the possessive is often used. So an alarm named Joe is simply that: Joe. Make it possessive when you say it, Siri doesn't understand because it hasn't been taught to expect possessive alarm names. But I can get Siri to call my wife's iPhone by saying that, or "call Kelly's iPhone," because Siri has been taught that iPhones, or any phone lines, often belong to individuals and those individuals may possess them, ergo "Kelly's" is an acceptable and comprehensible, to Siri, variant of "Kelly."

3. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Interesting, I haven't tried it with calls but I did with the alarm I named.

That does make sense and it does work if I say it without the " 's "

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Pretty damn sofisticated for a fone. :D

5. diane143 thread starter macrumors 6502a

LMAO!!!! Firefox didn't pick it up as a mispelling and I spaced on the "ph" lol

So today I was headed out of town and saw traffic on the other side of the highway. Asked her to remind me to take "exit X off Rt Z" on the way home. Not sure if she didn't understand or just couldn't figure things out with the background noise in the car.

I think I need a Siri manual lol

Oh, the other thing she didn't understand... last week I was baking and had her set an alarm in 35 mins. Worked perfectly. I looked in the oven a few minutes early and wanted her to add 5 mins to that alarm, but that didn't work. By the time we finished arguing, the original alarm had gone off haha