Sirius App?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Hawk., Jun 10, 2008.

1. Hawk. macrumors member

Is there anyway one could stream live Sirius satellite radio through a 3G iPhone? This would make for a killer app if possible.

I know there were once reports that the Sirius CEO met with Apple but no news came from that. These are two business models that would be hard to mingle as far the business side goes but would present dreamy possibilities for the consumer.

--

And I'm not very tech savvy but I still don't think one would be able to do this live as there is no flash capability? Best alternative continues to be downloading content by way of StarPlayr and importing to iTunes, but there's no spontaneity here as everything needs to be planned in advance.

2. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

3. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

some is already coming up with an app so you can listen to sirius/ You will need an internet subscription though, not jsut a regular one, but yes, it is supposed to be happening.

4. touchyphone macrumors regular

uSirius just released an App via Installer, google mallardsoftware or mullardsoftware, I would kno wbetter but my touch or iPhone arent near me at the moment.

5. Hawk. thread starter macrumors member

6. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Here's the link, their site is extremely sluggish at the moment though:

http://www.millardsoftware.com/content/usirius-iphone

7. essential macrumors regular

If you have a regular subscription, you get online streaming free. I have a regular subscription and a Stratus 4 in my car, but I stream Sirius all day at work from my computer.

8. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

9. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

can wait to put this on my ipod touch for work, I can't listen to sirius at work:(

10. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

Keep in mind that the included online streaming is only 64Kbps. They charge you extra if you want to use the 128Kbps stream, which is absolutely worth it to me.

11. diddy macrumors 6502

Awesome news. This, for me, is a killer app. No more lusting after Stilettos!

I'd probably pay upwards of 10 bucks for a nice Sirius iPhone app.

12. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

you can bypass this by using the free siriusmac which streams at 128k;)

13. hotzenplotz macrumors regular

Wow, for what people will pay for these days. :rolleyes:

14. Hawk. thread starter macrumors member

All day long. But I suspect some official, well developed Apps will fetch more than $10. Time will tell.

I wonder how receptive each party (Apple/Sirius) would be to utlizing eachother's technology.

Would Apple fear a 24/7 content library of that magnitude? Maybe, but the App Store is about exploring all these possibilties for the consumer demand. Does Sirius care who's hardware you use? No. They just want the subscription fees. I have to think any hold up / opposition in a possible official App relationship would have stem from Apple right? Anyways if some independent developer releases this and it works well, I'd be elated.

15. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

I just hope we don't get a lot apps not made by the coordsponding companies. If it is ebay, i want apps directly from ebay. If it is XM I want the app from XM. Safer and hopefully better.

16. touchyphone macrumors regular

So thats because we pay for Sirius/XM Radio. Thats a silly remark IMO, I mean I have Sirius Radio. I get my favorite show, Howard Stern, I get every NFL Game, every NBA game. I have about 75+ channels of commercial free music, about 40 talk channels. I have a car unit, it has a free internet subscription, I have access to it everywhere. For like 69 cents a day, about $12 a month, well even less since I committed for a lifetime service. I dont know, personally, youre missing out, the content is great, and sometimes theres to much to explore. This app is great for someone like me, I can have my unit on my hip and listen to Classic Vinyl, or Faction, some CNN all great Sirius channels....so explain, further, why are you so amazed and eyes rolled? Do you even have these services to comment, because you're missing out for sure!

17. Hawk. thread starter macrumors member

Right that's what I was leaning toward. It would make too much sense if the capability is there for Sirius and XM to release their own official Apps.

+1 as I was equally perplexed by the comment and share same sentiments.

18. MM07 macrumors 6502a

I just started using Sirius Mac 2 because Starplayr was just making my MacBook get very hot and the fans would go nuts.

edit: I just downloaded the newest version of Strplayr, it seemed to have fixed the issue. :)

19. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

Thanks...

Yes we are actually partnering with NiceMac, the maker of StarPlayr, to bring the StreamSmart platform to the iPhone.

Most of our revenue will come from tasteful advertising based on the PDT/What's playing information for a channel. We keep going back and forth between the application being free or sell for a small fee to cover our server fees... but it is looking like the application will be under $1 US.

Just some background... we (GeeksToolBox) have been supplying SiriusWM5 for several years now free of charge. I have had several conversations with Sirius, including some specifically about the iPhone over a year ago. They are not interested at this time (I believe they are just busy with other things.)

I offered them the SiriusWM5 source code free of charge, and they declined. At this point, I would not be able to give them the StreamSmart code as it has some proprietary code designed by me that allows ad injection and the ability to hookup all services (XM, Sirius, user defined) for almost all platforms (Windows, OSX, iPhone, BB, Nokia Symbian, Android, XBox360, etc.)

I am running an Alpha test group currently on the service and WebClient, and several clients (such as StarPlayr) have begun interfacing to StreamSmart as the Sirius provider. Testing may begin for the iPhone within 3 or 4 weeks.

If you want to be included in the limited alpha and beta tests, send an email to ssalphag1@geekstoolbox.com

Here is our teaser video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NiS5mbVM7do

We have lost a few developers as well... so if you want to code for a platform, let me know via that same email address.

20. soberbrain macrumors 65816

soberbrain

It's unfortunate that Sirius declined. I can see how their initial reaction will be "we'd lose money on satellite hardware", though they would gain more customers (myself included) if this was available on the iPhone 3G, and they really are more of a subscription based service than a hardware company.

Also, having a device that played both XM and Sirius could be something that helps their battle against C3SR. Seriously, the FCC needs to approve this merger.

Anyway, thanks in advance to the developers. I'm very excited about this app.

21. PoitNarf macrumors 65816

PoitNarf

22. Hawk. thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for finding this thread bitslap. Very informative.

23. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

Bumping this to see if there have been any updates.

I assume that for either, but especially the uSirius iPhone app, that you need to have a jailbroken phone?

Edit: Dave, a few questions after reading the linked forum. Will the application be through the actual Apple application store? Will it require the 3G iPhone?

24. bitslap47 macrumors 6502a

bitslap47

As long as Apple does not flag our application as a Bandwidth hog, which it really isn't anyway, you will not need a jailbroken phone and it will be available via the App store.

Right now we are sitting idle waiting for the final SDK version so we can move forward.

25. Superman07 macrumors 6502a

Ignorance question: could you submit it as a Wi-Fi only application?