Sirius developing streaming satellite radio app for iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Unspeaked, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Unspeaked macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

LINK

2. basesloaded190 macrumors 68030

basesloaded190

they have been saying that for a long time now. I'll believe it when it hits the store

3. MacVixen macrumors 6502

I wonder what the cost will be.

I loved receiving a letter from Sirius telling how because I am a "especially valued customer" that I was being offered the low, low price of $3.99 per month for internet streaming access - a service that had been completely free for the last 3 years that I have been with Sirius :rolleyes:

4. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

This comment peaked my interest:

Hmm, maybe Sirius XM needs to partner with a technology company?

5. joeshell383 macrumors 6502a

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

7. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

They also tie that into it eventually not being a primarily satellite based company.

That made me wonder: at that point, what would be the difference between Sirius and any number of other "internet radio" outlets?

(Obvious answer: content. But the general population doesn't seem to be going wild with the content as it currently stands, if their teetering with bankruptcy last month is any indication...)

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Or not exclusively a satellite-based company. Bringing the Sirius XM content to the internet as a fee service does smack a bit of desperation. Perhaps they'd be smarter if they offered some limited content via broadband for free, as a way of promoting their satellite service.

The comment that really intrigued me though was the one about Sirius XM not being a technology company. I think we know of a technology company which has gotten pretty good at delivering content. What was their name again...?

Sirius XM could be bought out for chump change. Something to consider.

9. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

Just some food for thought for those of you who think that sirius is that far in the *******.

They are #3 in the world of subscription based companies.. They dont have a lack of listeners, its the issue that they have HUGE debt and the automotive industry was their #1 seller..

It would be AWEOSME if they paired up with a tech company, but they are right.. Sirius is the programming.. like any radio CHANEL.. the issue is, they need to decide if they are going to let 3rd party companies create receivers.. that will make it more and more like terrestrial radio station, which is what they ideally are..

it would be like the FIRST radio station paying to put up all of the towers across the country. You KNOW it would be a HUGE debt with hopes of making it back in the business plan... it just is a sad time for everyone and EVERYONE is raising prices and cutting back

10. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

A good point.

But there's a big difference between the content said technology company is currently delivering and the content Sirius provides, much of which is self-generated. Is that a business our dear technology company wants to be in? Could be.

(The next question would be, if it is a business they want to be in, is Sirius the best way to get into it?)

11. Resist macrumors 68030

I knew I should have bought $10k worth of stock in Sirius when it was $0.05 a share just prior to their bankruptcy bail out. Now it is at $0.19 a share and my $10k investment could have made me almost $40k in less than a month. I think they are here to stay.

12. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I did. No 10,000 worth but I did buy a lot and still am. They will not go under in my opinion. So the least that can happen is nothing.

13. Unspeaked thread starter macrumors 68020

Unspeaked

Just out of curiosity, why do you think they won't go under?

The only thing that stopped them from not going under the other month was an outside investor. They were that close.

They should be fine through 2009 but the same issue will come up at the end of the year - financing. If there's any value in their property, why would it not be in someone's best interest to let them go under and buy their assets for pennies on the dollar?

The market is certainly pricing it as if that's likely. In any case, there's no reason Sirius needs to survive for satellite radio to "make it."

14. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

I don't know, but our favorite tech company is already in the content delivery business. We could easily think of a couple of new methods to deliver Sirius content, methods which are already proven and successful. I don't know much about the hardware side of Sirius, but it seems our favorite tech company has a history of thinking up new and interesting ways to approach hardware technology .

15. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

I just personally do not think they will ever go away because there are people interested in owning their assests, and the owner mel carmazon is a smart guy and WILL sell certain assets (like he did a month ago) but make sure that he can still keep the company as it is.. I think he is a smart man, but they just ended up putting a LOAD of money into something at the wrong time

If the economy was now as it was 1 year ago, sirius would be HUGE, meaning they just bought some time before the economy turns around and they pull themselves out of the debt that is those HUGE satellites.

Like i said, the are the 3RD LARGEST subscription based company in the world.. THAT MEANS that they have almost as many subscribers and COMCAST and CABLEVISION.. thats no small beans.. people WANT sirius, plain and simple. if people want it, they will stay around.. so buy your stocks and feel safe

16. gottafly macrumors regular

Sirius XM will be around, one way or the other, there is simply too much invested in hardware. That doesn't mean that you should be dumping money into their stock, though (even at $0.19). It could be worthless in a matter of months...a very easy thing to do in this environment.

In my opinion, they will be owned by Liberty outright within the next year. Liberty has the cash, and the upper hand given current ownership. The problem is their debt. As soon as the next round of debt refinancing rolls around Sirius will not have any other option than to agree to be purchased by Liberty.

If you like the way you've been treated by DirecTv, you'll be fine. I don't know many that are "happy" w/ the way they treat their customers though.