Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jwilli44

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
Satellite radio is not clear. It is at best slightly better than FM. This is because to save costs, XM/Sirius lowered the bit rate supplied to each individual customer in order to accommodate more users on the same equipment. I had XM years ago when it was fairly new and the quality was much better than it is now. It's so bad now that I decided not to renew my subscription after the 6 mo. trial that came with my car expired.

I have to disagree, I have had XM for 7 years, the sound is as clear as ever. Maybe you should take your car to dealer and check it out for problems. Also, your newer car may have a cheaper sound system than your other car years ago..Also, this is not internet streaming. Are you sure satelite has to share bandwidth like the internet does...I doubt it...It's "broadcasts" to all capable devices...Each device does not take up bandwidth...You are thinking of cell phone signal, or internet wi-fi signal...different technologies...where did you get your info? Satelite used digital signals that dont degrade with more devices..

MN1974

macrumors newbie
Mar 20, 2008
Durham, NC
Why the hell...

would someone who owns a iPod Touch buy that thing? :confused:

I just don't get it... all the effort put on developing a piece of cr@p that will surely fail to sell. What a waste of time...

Get yourself Wunderadio to get real radio from all over the world, or get yourself Pandora to get really cool music, and forget about having a satelite radio on your iPhone.

The only reason I could justify satelite radio is if you live abroad, and you're a music freak. Otherwise, I can't see the point in wasting that much money.

richmonddjs

macrumors member
Feb 13, 2009
Richmond, Va.
At&t's sytem will now fail....

Taylor Swift is a millionaire, she was not a millionaire before she was singing so I think a lot of people listen to her.

Blythyvxr

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2009
What an awesome Design. With that, everything I changed into 1st, 3rd or 5th gear, I'd change channel. Fantastic.

jwilli44

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
I've been waiting for a month to get a $77 refund check from Sirius/XM due to a double billing problem that they created on the account I have for my wife's car (which has a factory XM tuner in it).

I simply don't trust these crooks with a credit card and I sure as hell won't be shelling out $120 so that I can listen to low bitrate Sirius audio that sounds worse than AM radio.

They can suck it.[/QUOTE

Ok, if they made a mistake on your bill that is a problem that isn't unique to SIRIUS XM, things happen. It should not be hard to correct. Your radio must be a piece of garbage if AM and digital satelite sound the same. Don't blame the company. Factually digital satelite has a better quality than AM...that isn't even woth discussing. That's like saying DISH Networks HD signal is no better than a rabbit ear antenna. well if you have a 1970 black and white tv...i guess you are right...

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I have to disagree, I have had XM for 7 years, the sound is as clear as ever. Maybe you should take your car to dealer and check it out for problems. Also, your newer car may have a cheaper sound system than your other car years ago..Also, this is not internet streaming. Are you sure satelite has to share bandwidth like the internet does...I doubt it...It's "broadcasts" to all capable devices...Each device does not take up bandwidth...You are thinking of cell phone signal, or internet wi-fi signal...different technologies...where did you get your info? Satelite used digital signals that dont degrade with more devices..

Yeah, he doesn't know what the hell he's talking about.

It has nothing to do with number of users. The same amount of bandwidth is being used whether one person or a billion people subscribe. Sirius and XM increase or decrease bandwidth allocated to channels to accommodate new channels, they have a limited amount of bandwidth to work with so lower bandwidth per channel means they can add more channels. That said, I have no issues with the Sirius sound quality, it sounds just fine to me.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Why do companies (Sirius, Tomtom etc) think that just because we're Apple customers we're easy pickings with more money than sense? That only applies to some of us...

"Here buddy, buy our new product: it's pretty much the same as our standalone model, but we've saved ourselves a fortune by letting you use your iPhone/iPod instead of all the expensive hardware we have to include in our standalone products"

"Great, sounds like it should be a good deal. So how much cheaper is it than your standalone product?"

"Well, it's actually twice as much. But hey, you can use your iPhone/iPod with it!"

jwilli44

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
would someone who owns a iPod Touch buy that thing? :confused:

I just don't get it... all the effort put on developing a piece of cr@p that will surely fail to sell. What a waste of time...

Get yourself Wunderadio to get real radio from all over the world, or get yourself Pandora to get really cool music, and forget about having a satelite radio on your iPhone.

The only reason I could justify satelite radio is if you live abroad, and you're a music freak. Otherwise, I can't see the point in wasting that much money.

First, you are very limited in your view of "radio" . Satelite is a lot more than "cool" music. If all they had was music they would charge about $2.00 a month. they have over 170 chanels...less than half are music. Most of their expenses were for talent...They dont just use a computer like Pandora to "stream" songs.. Wundradio? who wants radio from a different country? I want american radio with american personalities!..what unique content do they have that you cant get anywhere else? MLB, NFL, HOWARD STERN, Oprah Radio, etc...How do you get Howard Stern or any sports game from radio all over the world? r u serious?

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
I think some might be confused, the satellite radio will come in via satellite, not 3G. It turns your iPod/iPhone into the XM CONTROLLER. It's cool because if you have multiple cars you don't have to buy a subscription for each. It will work anywhere you get satellite, not cell coverage. If you have a factory iPhone/iPod connector in your car it will be CD quality.

You're right, they are confused and you get the point of this device and why it has a good chance to a very popular device. We'll see.

jwilli44

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
Interesting. I wonder if you'll be able to get the Howard Stern channels? You certainly cannot with their iPhone application, which really, really blows.

This dock makes your iphone/ipod touch a full service satelite radio..You get all the stations you subscribe to and you don't need wi-fi or data on your phone..so yes, if you get XM plus best of Sirius...you get Howard Stern, baseball, the whole thing...over 200 chanels...nationwide

kfdodgerfan

macrumors newbie
Oct 23, 2007
They need to change their business model.....their service is too expensive (anything more than 'free' is too expensive). Why not add commercials to all their channels (they already have many channels that do) and allow it to be free?

Yeah. Comcast, DirecTV and Dish should do that as well. Have their service be free. We'll just watch twice as many commercials. HBO should be free as well as free-per-view TV. Just add commercials. Problem solved.

Wie Gehts

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2007
aren't cars coming out with internet streaming? (if thats the right terminology) I can get all the kind of music/radio I want off the web.

I got XM cause it came with the new car i got but i just let it lapse. 99% of the music blows and if you want talk, its 5 minutes for 10 minutes of commercials...its a s bad as regular am radio. screw them...die already

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I've been waiting for a month to get a $77 refund check from Sirius/XM due to a double billing problem that they created on the account I have for my wife's car (which has a factory XM tuner in it).

I simply don't trust these crooks with a credit card and I sure as hell won't be shelling out $120 so that I can listen to low bitrate Sirius audio that sounds worse than AM radio.

They can suck it.[/QUOTE

Ok, if they made a mistake on your bill that is a problem that isn't unique to SIRIUS XM, things happen. It should not be hard to correct. Your radio must be a piece of garbage if AM and digital satelite sound the same. Don't blame the company. Factually digital satelite has a better quality than AM...that isn't even woth discussing. That's like saying DISH Networks HD signal is no better than a rabbit ear antenna. well if you have a 1970 black and white tv...i guess you are right...

Have you actually listened to how the Sirius app on the iPhone sounds when it is streaming over 3G or Edge?

It is, in fact, worse quality than AM.

It sounds terrible.

One time App purchase for $20 maybe. $3.99 a month for eternity? They can kiss my butt.

jwilli44

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
XM and Sirius are such epic fails. Terrible sound quality (56kbit data rate max), constantly repeating songs, expensive. I have an iPod dock for my car that lets me stream Pandora or any other internet radio station I desire over 3G and directly into my car speakers, for free. Infinitely more variety, better sound quality, no cost. It's only a matter of time before XM/Sirius dies a slow death

I question your knowledge saying it is at a 56k data max. However, you can not compare 3g to satelite. satelite is nationwide as long as you can see the sky..You are flat out lying if you say satelite sound quality is bad, it is at least cd quality if you have a quality signal and hook up. your FM modulator may be bad. You cant possibly say Pandora has more variety than Sirius XM..ALL THEY HAVE IS MUSIC! every game of all sports is on sirius xm...every genre of talk is on sirius xm....every genre of music is on sirius xm...oh Pandora has Music, and what else? What personality for their music do they have programming thier music? A COMPUTER ALGORITHYM!!!pandora is only good because it is free for now...that will change soon. If all you want is music and your travel is limited..pandor suits you...but some people are more well rounded and will pay for more..By the way...if you have an ipod touch then what? What if you don't have unllimited data? hmmm....Sirius XM has 18 million subs...they will out live you trust me..

edoates

macrumors 6502
May 22, 2006
I wish music only...for $2 a month. Then I'd subscribe. I don't want 170 channels of sports games and NASCAR races and especially Howard Stern. And if the DJs on the music stations would shut up other than announcing the tracks (especially for classical), I'd be most pleased. So I don't pay for subscription radio.

I do pay for subscription TV: DirecTV, and with that I get a fine selection of XM music. I preferred their old service with two classical stations, three or four jazz stations, in addition to the usual rock/country/classics stuff. And no blathering DJs.

But if I'm in my car, I've got a few thousand songs on my iPhone to listen to. I think that's why I got an iPod in the first place many years ago: to carry my tune library with me.

Two of my newer cars came with satellite radio (Sirius, I think) preinstalled, so now I have extra "sources" to bypass all the time.

This should fail, as should satellite radio. And Stern's head should implode from it's serious lack of content.

jwilli44

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
and you have to have the additional internet plan right, on top of your regular subscription?

No, you don't need the additional internet subscription to use the sky dock. People are misunderstanding the sky dock. The sky dock will use the satelites, not wi-fi or 3g. It will be a satelite radio, the same as pre installed versions in new cars. If you want to listen to outside the car or in your house...then yes..you need premium internet..You can use the sky dock without any data plan on your iphone...you can use your ipod touch...driving anywhere in the country and canada...

jwilli44

macrumors newbie
Aug 26, 2009
Why do companies (Sirius, Tomtom etc) think that just because we're Apple customers we're easy pickings with more money than sense? That only applies to some of us...

"Here buddy, buy our new product: it's pretty much the same as our standalone model, but we've saved ourselves a fortune by letting you use your iPhone/iPod instead of all the expensive hardware we have to include in our standalone products"

"Great, sounds like it should be a good deal. So how much cheaper is it than your standalone product?"

"Well, it's actually twice as much. But hey, you can use your iPhone/iPod with it!"

I agree that besides the portability, it would be cheaper to get a stand alone xm unit. However, you have to think of ease of use. Would an iphone user really want to have to unplug their ipod/iphone then switch over th satelite? The idea is to have a choice between satelite and your onw library at the touch of a button on the same device. I agree it should be cheaper, I'm sure they will work out deals on the price. Maybe give some free months with the purchase...example buy dock and get 3 months free...thus reducing the price by about $45.00 net

jmpage2

macrumors 68040
Sep 14, 2007
I agree that besides the portability, it would be cheaper to get a stand alone xm unit. However, you have to think of ease of use. Would an iphone user really want to have to unplug their ipod/iphone then switch over th satelite? The idea is to have a choice between satelite and your onw library at the touch of a button on the same device. I agree it should be cheaper, I'm sure they will work out deals on the price. Maybe give some free months with the purchase...example buy dock and get 3 months free...thus reducing the price by about $45.00 net

That might hold water if they streamed us Sirius at better than 50kbps. At the bit rates they are sending, I get better fidelity out of a string and a couple of tin cans held up to the speaker of a 1960's AM radio.

DogHouseDub

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2007
SF
Got XM in my new Infiniti and the sound quality is just horrible. I'm no audiophile but the sound was so overly compressed... I might as well have been listening through a telephone receiver (ok, not that bad but much worse than standard mp3 quality).

Now I use the iPhone 3GS and the Pandora app to stream Pandora wherever I go. I keeps a pretty healthy buffer so I almost never lose playback. Much better sound quality than the XM satellite, already paid for and I can customize stations as I please.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.