Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
I read an article on orbitcast.com that speculated Sirius XM was working on integrating their online streams to the Roku box. i think this is a great way for Sirius XM to try to compete with internet radio (more so) even if it isn't free... if people can skip out on the upfront cost of hardware they might be more inclined to try.

On that note, any thoughts on integrating that into the Apple TV? It's a stretch to think of it being official integrated but what about on a hacked Apple TV?

jmpg

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2008
Internet Radio already there

iTunes already had a ton of internet radio stations. If you create a playlist in iTunes and drag internet radio stations into it then you can get them to show up on Apple TV.

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
iTunes already had a ton of internet radio stations. If you create a playlist in iTunes and drag internet radio stations into it then you can get them to show up on Apple TV.

Definitely an option, and I use those as well, but I listen to a couple of "personalities" and talk shows on Sirius that I wouldn't get that way (Stern, Ellis, NFL Network, etc).

JonHimself

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Nov 3, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
i use airfoil on my imac to send audio to the appletv

That's what I'm doing now, it works well enough. I was just thinking about have it actually integrated it into the Apple TV (through hacking would be fine for convenience but I think it's not that bad of an idea either for Apple to do)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.