sister doesn't want data on 2g iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by sr5878, Jul 8, 2008.

1. sr5878 macrumors 6502a

hey

ok, i've done the research. my sister wants my old 2g iphone, but can't afford the $20/mo data plan. i called at&t, but apparently it is impossible to either 1: cancel data on the iphone or 2: block edge data to/from a non-iphone (i would unlock and use with her current sim). what should i do?

1: unlock/jailbreak and use her old sim and download a program from installer to disable edge

2: is it possible for at&t to block edge? we have family texting unlimited, and the rep i spoke to told me that data cannot be blocked as long as there is any sort of texting on the phone.

3: unlock and somehow block edge without jailbreaking (i would prefer to NOT jailbreak!)

4: get her a different phone

and for those who are going to flip a shi- about disabling edge: we have wifi at home, and she has constant wifi at her university. she doesn't have any interest in using mobile internet except in wifi conditions.

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Uh... she can easily disable EDGE service from her phone, which also removes visual voicemail btw. She can make changes to her account at wireless.att.com . If she doesn't have a login there, she needs to create one, and then she can change it straight from there.

She could also call a smart rep and they will do it for her..

3. dap1215 macrumors regular

I'm gonna have to say go with a different phone and get her an ipod touch. I think the strong points of the iphone are its connectivity to the net via a data plan.

4. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

again, it's just a 'free' phone to her. she doesn't have data on her phone now, so data in wifi zones will just be a luxury to her. she doesn't need visual voicemail.

5. ceiph macrumors regular

i got sick of trying to use the internet on my blackberry so i canceled it and blocked it. i still have a txt plan. so the rep you dealt with is dumb... that and u can also disable the iphone 2gs data plan. so i dont see the issues

6. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i tried doing this... but the at&t rep told me that edge data is required for a texting plan. (meaning she can't block data, otherwise she will no longer be able to text).

7. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

see, i called at&t at least 5 times trying to get different reps who might have some insight. each one told me that the iphone data plan is absolutely required, no exceptions.

8. danny_w macrumors 601

Apparently you no longer have the ability to remove the iPhone data plan via the website. I know it was there just a few days ago, but there does not seem to be a box for removing the feature now. Would somebody else please check their account and see if the option is available? I can only see 3 radio buttons:

FEATURE MONTHLY COST MANAGE THIS FEATURE
    iPhone Data Features
    iPhone Data Plan + Unlimited Text $40.00 Select Feature
    iPhone Data Plan + 1500 Text $30.00 Select Feature
    IPHONE DATA + 200 $20.00 Current Feature

9. D3lta macrumors 6502a

What if you tell them you sold the iPhone, so you would like to remove the data plan?

10. D3lta macrumors 6502a

Just checked my account, it's not there anymore.

11. danny_w macrumors 601

Thanks for checking. I should have removed it a few days ago when I had the chance I guess.

12. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i've been reading online that theres some way to 'sabotage' your edge connection by modifying your connection settings. i THINK you can do this without jailbreaking? i dont know?

urggg at&t. its my phone, i paid in full. let me do what i want with it.

edit: this is what i was talking about:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5stBpHB6tPQ

just put poop at the end.

13. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'd almost love to do the same thing if we had WiFi at work. $20/month for e-mails buzzing in. OK, neat. But I still can't say I use $20 worth of EDGE a month (not to mention the darn minutes I have piling up).

One day I really do hope Apple will address this since a lot of people would love essentially an iPod Touch with a phone inside.

14. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Pretty sure you can do this without jailbreaking.. however I'm not sure if it stays once you restart the phone. Why aren't you trying on your iPhone?

15. sr5878 thread starter macrumors 6502a

i don't have the phone with me right now :(

16. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

Just call AT&T and tell your sister to give them an imei # of a different phone you have lying around; that's if you do? Once the new phone is linked to the account, have her pop her sim in the iPhone.