Sister dropped phone in sink?!

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
My sister dropped her phone in the sink today at the gym. The phone doesn't seem to have any hardware issues, it's just tweaking the volume. Say If I put up the volume on maximum on iTunes. The phone will itself drop the volume bar to no volume. Anyone know if it will survive? I have a spare, but I really don't want to give it up so soon after purchasing these phones!

Brien

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2008
Turn it off. Stick it in a ziploc bag with some rice. Ignore it for a week.

microcolt

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2010
Behind You
Go to the Apple Store, get someone that looks young(newer worker), and ask kindly if there is anything they could do for your iPhone. Most times(the first time only), they will replace it for you.

P.S. If your sister is hot ask her to do it, since she owes you a new phone anyways. :D (My bad if you find offense to that...)

SchneiderMan

macrumors G3
May 25, 2008
Go to the Apple Store, get someone that looks young(newer worker), and ask kindly if there is anything they could do for your iPhone. Most times(the first time only), they will replace it for you.

P.S. If your sister is hot ask her to do it, since she owes you a new phone anyways. :D (My bad if you find offense to that...)
I would agree.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca

She took my spare 3GS last year too. That's why I'm annoyed at the idea of giving her my iPhone 4 this year too! She's a model, so I don't think she'll have a hard time flirting with the guy. I'll pass this on, I made an appointment tomorrow for her. Wish me luck, and even then, they apparently are offering a $199 replacement nowadays? That's not bad at all!

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

She's a model yet can't afford to buy her own iPhones?

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

"Me model, actress, and dancer. Me love...., I mean model, for you long time."

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
The best answer was the first one, stick it in a bag of rice. If u connect it to iTunes it will fry, this is why I try to backup my devices whenever I connect to my Mac.

iHeartapple2

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
The rice works if you do it immediately. Power off the phone and remove the sim card right after it happens. Place the phone in a zip lock bag and fill bag with rice. Seal bag and remove as much air as possible. Be sure the rice covers the entire phone and sit the bag in a nice dry spot and leave it for 3 to 4 days.

old-wiz

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2008
West Suburban Boston Ma
Tell her to go to the Apple store wearing a really low cut blouse and tell them she was keeping her iPhone in her cleavage and I'm sure they will fight over getting their hands on the phone and give her a new one if they can re-place it in her usual location.

makefunnyfaces

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2010
West Virginia
Turn it off. Stick it in a ziploc bag with some rice. Ignore it for a week.
This. I dropped my 3GS into a bucket of rain water. I immediately turned it off, put it in a bag of rice 2-3 hours later (I was at school), & left it there overnight. It still worked completely fine!

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca

She can most definitely afford it. She's still my sister and I feel bad for her. She just has the worst luck with phones, but you can't help that. She's currently paying for her new house, car and graduate school as well as all the utilities on her own. I'm trying to help her out by saving her money, ok?

The rice works if you do it immediately. Power off the phone and remove the sim card right after it happens. Place the phone in a zip lock bag and fill bag with rice. Seal bag and remove as much air as possible. Be sure the rice covers the entire phone and sit the bag in a nice dry spot and leave it for 3 to 4 days.
I guess I'm partly to blame for having tried to backup all her data then. If the guy refuses to exchange it I'll give her my other one. Hopefully they'll offer a replacement for the $199 price.

milerich

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
She took my spare 3GS last year too. That's why I'm annoyed at the idea of giving her my iPhone 4 this year too! She's a model, so I don't think she'll have a hard time flirting with the guy. I'll pass this on, I made an appointment tomorrow for her. Wish me luck, and even then, they apparently are offering a $199 replacement nowadays? That's not bad at all!

Ok, I'll bite.

Pics or there is NO sister!
:p

Thedeathbear

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2010
She can most definitely afford it. She's still my sister and I feel bad for her. She just has the worst luck with phones, but you can't help that.
If she can afford it, then let her pay for it. Problem solved. Also if she keeps breaking phones, maybe the iPhone isn't for her.

Goldinboy17

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 21, 2010
San Francisco, Ca
Ok, I'll bite.

Pics or there is NO sister!
:p
I don't know if she would appreciate that. There's no reason I'd lie?

If she can afford it, then let her pay for it. Problem solved. Also if she keeps breaking phones, maybe the iPhone isn't for her.
She'll pay for the replacement, but I still wanted to see if I could help her out in any way. I agree that she should just get another phone that would be easier to replace, but you try explaining that to her...

drewc1138

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2007
Funny that this post would show up here now. I've let my son use my first gen iPhone to play games and watch movies...and I just pulled it out of the washing machine. It's sitting in some rice right now but I don't have much hope for it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.