Sister dropped phone in sink?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Goldinboy17, Aug 6, 2010.

1. Goldinboy17 macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

My sister dropped her phone in the sink today at the gym. The phone doesn't seem to have any hardware issues, it's just tweaking the volume. Say If I put up the volume on maximum on iTunes. The phone will itself drop the volume bar to no volume. Anyone know if it will survive? I have a spare, but I really don't want to give it up so soon after purchasing these phones!

2. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Turn it off. Stick it in a ziploc bag with some rice. Ignore it for a week.

3. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I connected it to iTunes to make sure I could at least salvage any info on it. Now the phone is completely tweaking out, the dock connector and microphone

4. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

Well then you Fried it. That's why you turn it off.

5. microcolt macrumors regular

Go to the Apple Store, get someone that looks young(newer worker), and ask kindly if there is anything they could do for your iPhone. Most times(the first time only), they will replace it for you.

P.S. If your sister is hot ask her to do it, since she owes you a new phone anyways. :D (My bad if you find offense to that...)

6. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

I would agree.

7. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

She took my spare 3GS last year too. That's why I'm annoyed at the idea of giving her my iPhone 4 this year too! She's a model, so I don't think she'll have a hard time flirting with the guy. I'll pass this on, I made an appointment tomorrow for her. Wish me luck, and even then, they apparently are offering a $199 replacement nowadays? That's not bad at all!

8. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

She's a model yet can't afford to buy her own iPhones?

9. lavrishevo macrumors 68000

lavrishevo

"Me model, actress, and dancer. Me love...., I mean model, for you long time."

10. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Not all models are rich.

In the same way, not all doctors or lawyers are rich.

11. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

The best answer was the first one, stick it in a bag of rice. If u connect it to iTunes it will fry, this is why I try to backup my devices whenever I connect to my Mac.

12. iHeartapple2 macrumors 6502

iHeartapple2

The rice works if you do it immediately. Power off the phone and remove the sim card right after it happens. Place the phone in a zip lock bag and fill bag with rice. Seal bag and remove as much air as possible. Be sure the rice covers the entire phone and sit the bag in a nice dry spot and leave it for 3 to 4 days.

13. microcolt macrumors regular

What? Broken iPhone? Huh? All I heard was ...She's a model... end of post for me.

14. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Knowing the guys at our local Apple store you might have better luck. ;)

15. old-wiz macrumors G3

Tell her to go to the Apple store wearing a really low cut blouse and tell them she was keeping her iPhone in her cleavage and I'm sure they will fight over getting their hands on the phone and give her a new one if they can re-place it in her usual location.

16. oakland6980 macrumors member

oakland6980

17. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

This. I dropped my 3GS into a bucket of rain water. I immediately turned it off, put it in a bag of rice 2-3 hours later (I was at school), & left it there overnight. It still worked completely fine!

18. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

She can most definitely afford it. She's still my sister and I feel bad for her. She just has the worst luck with phones, but you can't help that. She's currently paying for her new house, car and graduate school as well as all the utilities on her own. I'm trying to help her out by saving her money, ok?

I guess I'm partly to blame for having tried to backup all her data then. If the guy refuses to exchange it I'll give her my other one. Hopefully they'll offer a replacement for the $199 price.

19. milerich macrumors regular

Ok, I'll bite.

Pics or there is NO sister!
    :p

20. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

If she can afford it, then let her pay for it. Problem solved. Also if she keeps breaking phones, maybe the iPhone isn't for her.

21. marksman macrumors 603

marksman

Trade your sister to a loving family for a new iPhone.

22. Goldinboy17 thread starter macrumors 65816

Goldinboy17

I don't know if she would appreciate that. There's no reason I'd lie?

She'll pay for the replacement, but I still wanted to see if I could help her out in any way. I agree that she should just get another phone that would be easier to replace, but you try explaining that to her...

23. milerich macrumors regular

24. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

25. drewc1138 macrumors 6502

Funny that this post would show up here now. I've let my son use my first gen iPhone to play games and watch movies...and I just pulled it out of the washing machine. It's sitting in some rice right now but I don't have much hope for it.