Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nylock10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
Well,

my sister ruined her MacBook. She dropped it, and now the case is open on the side (near the slot-loading drive and the LCD screen), it has 4-dead pixels (came shipped that way, I recommended having it replaced but she said no).

She also loaded it with so much just, and had so many widgets open it took so long to boot.

It's a MacBook 2.0Ghz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of RAM.

She loaded a CD in it earlier today, and when she tries to eject it the MacBook makes a horrible sound and you can feel the bottom of the computer shake - the CD doesn't even eject.

I've tried things such as "Command-Option-O-F on boot, then type eject cd" to get the CD out, but it doesn't work. All the things I've tried that I've found on Google don't work, it seems that it is physically jammed in there. I cannot afford to use something like a credit card to get it out, as the CD is from college and it contains her homework (scratching it would cost her grade).

Thankfully, OS X can read the disk and I made a backup with Disk Utility and transfered it to another Mac via networking.

I'm backing up all her files (just in case it decides to become bricked), and I want to now if Apple Care covers what my sister did to the MacBook.

I'm sorry for posting such a long thread, she's making me fix it and I'll probably get in a lot of trouble if I don't (as my parents are also forcing me to fix this).

What should I do? It was bought online, so unfortunately taking it to an Apple store to have it replaced there won't work... I need to get this done, they'll keep me up all night if they have to lol

nylock10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
I just backed up the CD via Disk Utility, I made it into a .DMG and her college homework application-thing works fine.

I had my sister put everything on her computer she wants (pictures, music, documents, crap like that) on a folder on her desktop (which I send to my External HD which is connected to my iMac).

I realized my post was too long, so here's a rundown on what happened:

MacBook was dropped from about 2 - 3 feet, opened the side of the MacBook.

A CD was inserted into the MacBook and is now stuck, I believe it is a physical problem as booting with special key-orders won't eject the CD (it shakes the computer when it attempts to eject).

If I use something such as a credit card to remove the CD, it will possibly scratch the CD.

When fresh out of the box, the MacBook already had 4-dead pixels.

The MacBook is still covered by Apple Care, but I'm not sure if they will even replace this nor fix the jammed CD.

Rube

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
Sorry about your problem. My advice is if you need it, then get some rest. That system isn't going anywhere and you can harm it if you are not thinking completely clearly.

EricNau

Moderator emeritus
Apr 27, 2005
San Francisco, CA
If you made a backup of the CD (as you said in your first post), it doesn't matter if it gets scratched and/or ruined, does it?

You can try taking it to a Genius bar and ask them to remove the CD, but like I said before, any damage will not be replaced.

Also, it is extremely unlikely that Apple will replace the screen for 4 dead pixels (especially considering the other damage).

For now, just ensure the backups you've made work. ...Remember, computers can be replaced, data cannot.

The Flashing Fi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
That laptop isn't protected by AppleCare anymore. If you take it in for anything, they'll say your warranty is voided as the problem is probably caused by the damage your sister did to it when she dropped it.

Also, most laptop/monitor manufacturers won't take back LCDs with 4 dead pixels. Most of the time they need to be about 7, and even then, it really depends on the location and how close together they are. I don't know what's Apple's policy on dead pixels is though.

panda

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2004
stuck cd

if you insert a piece of cardboard slowly into the cd slot while the cd is spinning you can get the cd drive to eject the cd.

you will be able to feel when you've made contact with the cd and it will stop rotating. wait a bit and then you will hear the mechanics of the drive... it will then pop out, just be quick and pull out your card along with it.

good luck.:)

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I'm sorry for posting such a long thread, she's making me fix it and I'll probably get in a lot of trouble if I don't (as my parents are also forcing me to fix this).

What horrid parents! It's not YOUR fault she dropped her Mac and broke it, why should you get the pressure? She needs to learn some responsibility!

nylock10

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 26, 2006
I'm the only one that knows how to work Macs in my house lol

I put it in Target Disk Mode and booted it with my iMac, I backed up all the crap and called Apple Support.

They said to "Boot up holding the Option key, once the icons come up hold the eject key until the CD comes out. If that doesn't work, go to this authroized reseller for them to fix it." - does that seem correct?

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Advice

Take it in to the Apple store and plead your case.

Be nice. Say thanks a lot.

The worst they can do is charge you to fix it. You can always say no.

But I've seen some people get lucky, you never know.

jnc

macrumors 68020
Jan 7, 2007
Nunya, Business TX
A few months ago I dropped a 4 month old engraved iPod in a toilet and got a replacement sent out, no questions asked. Apple are really great with going the extra mile, even when they probably shoudn't.

No harm in asking them what they'll do for you.

PS it was a clean brand new toilet :p

jonnylink

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2007
Apple doesn't have to do anything here because of the damaged, but you can ask. One thing I would recommend is to not mention the dead pixels. Considering the extent of the damage inflicted on it, it seems like you are just angling for a way to blame Apple or squeeze them... which won't work.

There is a good chance that the optical drive has moved inside the notebook body. If the CD is being read just fine it could be as simple as opening the macbook up and re-securing it. However, once you open it up you've killed any last hope of getting Apple to touch it for free so only do that after speaking with them.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.