Sister screwed up my Mac mini help

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by flimzy, Mar 12, 2014.

1. flimzy macrumors regular

So basically I slept over a friends house for a day and while i was there my sister used my 2008 Mac mini without my permission. She said her mouse wasn't working so she used my computer but she first tried to set up her mouse on my computer. I asked her what sites she went on (she is a frequent liar) and she told me ourworld.com which is a stupid avatar online game. I'm not sure if she went on any other sites or downloaded anything or any crap like that because she is a liar. Well as soon as I went on my computer it was SLOW as sin. I could barely load anything and there was a minor smell from the mac. My storage also went from 57 gb to 52 gb in 1 day and then 5 minutes later it hit 50?? I'm really upset and worried. What could she have possibly down. I just restarted my computer now but I'm not touching it.

2. three macrumors 6502a

three

I'm pretty sure a website / online game couldn't do much "damage" to your computer. Try clearing the cache on your web browser, also check the downloads folder, and try out DaisyDisk (or something similar) to see where the lost free space went.

3. flimzy thread starter macrumors regular

After restarting my space went up to 59gb. Im not sure what this was but my computer is much more responsive now. Thanks for the help.

4. NewbieCanada macrumors 68030

My two cents - always put a password on your computer. You got off lucky this time.

5. flimzy thread starter macrumors regular

Yup, I learned my lesson. Luckily that lesson didn't result in a messed up machine. Thanks for the advice.

6. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

In addition to putting a password on your account make sure you have a good backup strategy in pace. At a minimum you should have Time Machine running all the time.

If you have to let your sister use your Mac on occasions, create a non-admin user account for her. Keeps her out of your stuff.

7. northernmunky macrumors 6502a

northernmunky

I just sounds like she ran an online game that had a memory leak, sucked up all your RAM hence the slow performance. The restart cleared it.

But yeah, I learned my lesson too... put a password on fricken' everything mate! I even put two step verification on my Google account to prevent anyone getting in.

8. 1934hotrod macrumors regular

1934hotrod

Just for grins go to disk utilities, select the drive and run repair permissions, normally it will say 8 min but when in good shape less then 3. Good health check, as mentioned lock it down with a password, also make sure you set it to auto log off.

Liars are no fun to work with or be around, protecting you computer from these folks is very easy to do.... no second chances BTW

You do not need to create an account, you already have one, aka owner or root. Below are instructions to keep the beggar out of your computer.

To log out automatically:

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Security, and then click General.

Open the General pane of Security preferences
    Click the lock icon to unlock it, and then type an administrator name (any name) and password.

Select “Log out after ... minutes of inactivity.”

Set the amount of time of inactivity before the system automatically logs out.

For added security, select “Require password ... after sleep or screen saver begins” and choose the amount of time before a password is required.

9. ChrisA macrumors G4

How was she able to log in? Did you make an account for here or ddi she use the Guest account?

No, don't tell us you just have one unpassworded account that also has admin privileges.

Make one adminitraitive account. That make one account for each user. None of the user accounts should be admin accounts. Never do normal day to day work in an account with admin privilege.