Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
I was trying to access http://www.mizzourec.com in Safari and it crashed my browser twice. So I tried Firefox, and it crashed that one too. Anybody else have this problem?

The second time it crashed Safari, it was like it reset the application: It asked for permission to access my keychain items, reset my home page to the Apple default, brought back the default bookmark set in addition to my own, and removed my ad-blocking style sheet. Easily fixed, but weird.

I'm running Tiger with Safari 2.0.1 and Firefox 1.0.6.

WildCowboy

Administrator/Editor
Original poster
Staff member
Jan 20, 2005
It also crashes Opera 8.5 Build 2173, but not Netscape 7.2 or Mozilla 1.8b...

njmac

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
doesn't crash my safari 2.0.1 with Tiger

edit: it did crash after about 5 minutes. I was able to open all links, then back at the homepage it just suddenly quit. :confused:

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
dubbz said:
Probably the Flash animation that's hogging the CPU.
I was pretty sure that was it, though I rarely have a problem with flash anymore in Camino. It must be one huge animation, because my PB was literally crawling until I closed the page. I don't really understand why people want to stick huge flash files on their sites. Sure, it can look cool, but you end up alienating a good portion of people browsing the web. We need a good tasteful flash animations only campaign.

Jim

dubbz

macrumors 68020
Sep 3, 2003
Alta, Norway
- Firefox 1.5 beta on Windows doesn't crash, and I don`t have Flash installed there atm.
- Deer Park 1.6a1 on Mac crash UNLESS I use adblock to block off all Flash animations.
- Firefox 1.0.4 on Linux doesn't crash.

So maybe it`s some issue with the Flash animation on the site, and the OS X version of the Flash player?

I`d boot into Windows to check if Opera have the same problem, but Enlightenment 17 looks kinda snazzy. :D

Malus

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2005
They just suck. If any of you guys know about myspace.com there are some profiles I can't even see cause they crash all of the browsers I tried. Sucks....

jim.

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2004
C-ville, VA
Malus said:
They just suck. If any of you guys know about myspace.com there are some profiles I can't even see cause they crash all of the browsers I tried. Sucks....
If you want to be an über-cool person, you could submit a bug report to mozilla or firefox and get it fixed in the gecko browsers. I, for one, would certainly appreciate anything that makes my browser render pages better.

Jim

Malus

macrumors 6502
Jul 19, 2005
jim. said:
If you want to be an über-cool person, you could submit a bug report to mozilla or firefox and get it fixed in the gecko browsers. I, for one, would certainly appreciate anything that makes my browser render pages better.

Jim

I wanna be uber-cool!!! I will so do that! yessss, so uber-cool now...hehehe :cool:

furrybum

macrumors newbie
Sep 29, 2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malus

the problem on myspace is that some of the media files used in peoples profiles dont seem to be compatible with mac browsers. on safari you need to go to Prefs>security then turn off the plugins option. it should now work. Just remember to turn it on again afterwards.

I was having the same problem for ages.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.